You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-08 02:04:15

Gullible Jones

Kernel security guys have unusual things to say about LSM...

This isn't something I'd have thought of... It's fairly obvious that GrSecurity can't use LSM because of the PaX stuff, but what's this business about LSM being fundamentally insecure?

There's also this from the RSBAC guys... I wonder if perhaps it's a good thing that LSM is now compiled as a module in the Arch stock kernel.

(BTW, what's this they say in the RSBAC article about LSM being removed from the mainline kernel? I haven't seen anything about that in the patch lists or on KernelTrap...)

#2 2006-06-08 15:13:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Kernel security guys have unusual things to say about LSM...

Wow, reading this post was more difficult then sitting through business jargon talks... we need to leverage platforms and provide extensible soultions!

Safe to say, I don't follow this --omg-security stuff, so I have no idea what all these acronyms mean... LSM PaX RSBAC.... hrrrrmm

#3 2006-06-08 19:24:25

Gullible Jones

LSM = Linux Security Modules

PaX = patches to interfere with various kinds of overflow-related attacks

RSBAC = Ruleset Based Access Control

#4 2006-06-08 19:45:45

stonecrest

VW = Verbal Wanking

I am a gated community.

#5 2006-06-11 00:31:47

Gullible Jones

You sure? I mean, I don't know a great deal about this stuff, but these guys have been working on *nix security for a long time, so I can't help but wonder if what they're saying is true.

#6 2006-06-11 01:22:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

ill agree with phrak, it's all just --omg-security. There's no way you'll see any of them in beyond ever.

#7 2006-06-11 02:26:34

Gullible Jones

I'm not asking for them in -beyond, that would spell trouble... I was at one point thinking of trying out RSBAC though.

(I do have to ask though... Isn't Linux security a bit less than satisfying in some ways? I mean look at OpenVMS, which appears to be almost immune to buffer overflows... I know I may sound paranoid, and it's true that this stuff isn't an *immediate* concern, but I do wonder if, what with Microsoft of all companies starting in with the "--omg-security" stuff, it isn't time for Linux to start looking that way.)

#8 2006-06-11 02:39:42

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

(I do have to ask though... Isn't Linux security a bit less than satisfying in some ways? I mean look at OpenVMS, which appears to be almost immune to buffer overflows... I know I may sound paranoid, and it's true that this stuff isn't an *immediate* concern, but I do wonder if, what with Microsoft of all companies starting in with the "--omg-security" stuff, it isn't time for Linux to start looking that way.)

well, if you think linux needs to be that way... all the stuff is there smile Go, have fun, and --omg-secururise your system. Choice mate.

Board footer