You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-09 06:34:39

hdezela

Working on Open-Xchange, help request.

Hello, I've recently been working on getting Open-Xchange working with Arch as a basic collaborative office, I have been able to do the following:

• Repackage the Debian binaries from the OX repository.

• Install a working setup with mail, document editing, calendar and drive.

• Replicate 60% of the (proprietary, non-free) "documentconverter" webservice through PHP/unoconv.

I have a few questions/requests if anyone is kind enough to lend a hand.

1. The OX repo also includes SRPMs for RHEL 7, am I fine to continue using/converting the Debian packages to Arch PKGs or is there some improvement regarding speed/stability/compatibility if I rebuild from source? Considering it is all Java, I'm assuming it is completely agnostic in that sense but I want to be sure.

2. The "documentcoverter" is a webservice that is propietary and has associated costs, it is not strictly necessary but previews and PDFs don't work without it, so not having it somewhat cripples the setup. However, the API is open-source and thus freely available; it does a few POST/GET requests and expects a formatted JSON response, but it's all written in Java and makes little sense to me, would someone be game to walk me through the relevant parts as to what it actually wants as a response? As of now, I can generate image previews but PDFs keep erroring out on the client side.

3. There are a bunch of other packages which I don't use but am willing to port (actually, I want to pull it all in eventually), some due to simple lack of need and some because I don't really know what they do, again, if someone would give me a hand I can post a complete, annotated, list of the packages in order to generate a full port.

Thank you!

#2 2017-04-09 11:33:07

Lone_Wolf

Re: Working on Open-Xchange, help request.

hdzela, it does look like someone else has done a lot of work already .

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Open-xchange and https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?SeB=m&K=lynxcore .

Maybe try to contact lynxcore and see if you can work together on this ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-05-02 05:44:03

hdezela

I've tried to get in touch with lynxcore without success.

To reiterate my question - is there any benefit to be gained by building the Java apps natively in Arch instead of just re-packaging the Debian pkg? I have searched the forum and haven't been able to find answers on this issue.

#4 2017-05-02 12:56:13

Lone_Wolf

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ja … guidelines .

Usually there's little difference between java packages build from source or re-packaged.

Debian does have a tendency to do things in a way that's not compatible with arch linux though[1] .

There are settings that can only be set at build time, like the required java version or including documentation or extras.
Apart from that, debian tends to split packages  a lot.
It's not unusual for debian to need 3 or 4 packages for  functionality that arch linux packagers put in 1 pacakge.

Looking at the java VM server requirements here , suggests
CentOS 7 and RHEL 7 are closest to arch linux versions as they use java 8 and mariadb 5.5 .

[1]
It's not debians fault they do that, but it can make it very hard for arch linux packagers to follow debian.
Often RedHat / fedora / suse binary rpms are easier to port then deb-packages.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2017-05-05 17:02:53

hdezela

Thank you very much Lone_Wolf, I keep doing that, searching the forums and forgetting about the wiki...

I'll play around with the RPMS.

Board footer