You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-26 20:32:27

rogorido

[solved] texlive-core: problems with the palatino font

hi,

i have updated the ssystem to the new texlive version. Everything seems to work OK, but there is a problem with the palatino I get the following error:

-----------------------------------------
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --dpi 657 pplrc8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for pplrc8r.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
(see the transcript file for additional information)
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file pplrc8r): Font pplrc8r at 657 not found
==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
---------------------------------------------

The message is still there after doing:
updmap-sys
fmtutils-sys
etc.

any ideas?

PS: if I do: locate pplrc8r
/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/adobe/palatino/pplrc8r.tfm
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex4ht/ht-fonts/unicode/adobe/courier/pplrc8r.htf

Last edited by rogorido (2009-08-27 20:37:27)

#2 2009-08-26 21:12:07

Ashren
Website

Re: [solved] texlive-core: problems with the palatino font

Have you tried running "fmutil --all" as user?

#3 2009-08-26 21:25:06

rogorido

thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did. And it does not work...

#4 2009-08-27 06:33:34

bender02

This error has nothing to do with formats (since the tex file *is* getting compiled). The error comes when it tries to include fonts. The core of the problem is that the tex system apparently doesn't know that pplrc8r is supposed to be a type1 (=postscript) font, and tries to build it via metafont ("create bitmap font"), which of course fails.

The way the inclusion of fonts in the texlive system works is the following:
- running 'updmap' or 'updmap-sys' updated the list of type1 and bitmap fonts available to the tex system. it takes in a file named 'updmap.cfg', subsequently reads *.map files (which contain the list of fonts together with the translation "tex name" -> "binary font name") and creates a map files which are then read by pdftex, dvips, etc.
- note: in the tex system, there are couple of directory trees which are "put on top of each other" when a tex compiler is run. This means that a "local" = (user created) files are read if they exist, if not, then the "system-wide" config files are used. If you ever modified some config files (for instance by running 'updmap --edit'), a "local" copy of the config file  was created in ~/.texlive and then regardless of how the system config files are modified on update, this "local" copy will be used. An exception is "updmap-sys" command, which *always* deals with system files. Also, if you ever run 'updmap' as user, the local map files were created, and these are being used regardless of system files.
- another note: to figure out for instance which updmap.cfg file is "seen" by texlive, just use 'kpsewhich updmap.cfg' -> the result is the full path to the "used" updmap.cfg.

So, what to do in a situation like this:
- the "simplest" solution, provided that system-wide config files are OK, is to delete ~/.texlive (this gets rid of all user modified stuff), and possibly run 'sudo updmap-sys')
- if that doesn't work, or you don't want to delete the user configs; then:
   1) figure out which .map file is supposed to let tex know about pplrc8r: 'cd /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map', then 'grep pplrc8r */*' then 'grep pplrc8r */*/*' .. until you get something like

dvips/psnfss/fpls.map:pplrc8r TeXPalladioL-SC "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <fplrc8a.pfb

that tells you that "fpls.map" is the file you want to include in updmap.cfg.
   2) do the inclusion: run 'updmap --enable Map fpls.map'. This creates a local copy of updmap.cfg, adds fpls.map into it and recreates the map files used by tex to figure out how should he include fonts.

Now this might have been unnecesarily long, but I hope gives some explanation how things work and how to fix similar problems.

If some expert knows better, please let us know.

Last edited by bender02 (2009-08-27 06:34:06)

#5 2009-08-27 12:40:15

rogorido

well, I think we dont need any information by experts... YOU are an expert.

thank you very much for your long and informative answer! It works now very well.

The configuration of Tex/Latex is always very complicated. As far as I see, archlinux (I am new in archvlinux...) or TeXlive installs different directories (texmf-config, texmf, texmf-dist, etc.) which are a little bit confusing...

anyway: thanks a lot!

#6 2009-08-27 12:46:27

bender02

As far as different 'trees' go, it's a texlive thing. That will be the same on any system. There are some explanations and some further pointers on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeXLive_FAQ

Last edited by bender02 (2009-08-27 12:46:44)

#7 2009-08-27 13:28:50

rogorido

thanks! yes, I know the wiki page, and i am using latex since years, but i still find the configuration complicated. But maybe its my problem-

PS: is there any possibility to mark this thread as [solved]? I dont know how to do it...

#8 2009-08-27 14:41:09

bender02

I think if you edit the first post, it'll allow you to change the title.

#9 2009-08-27 20:38:04

rogorido

done!

thank you for your help!

#10 2017-02-24 12:29:22

storrgie

@bender02

Years later I ran into this same issue after installing texlive-most and had to run `updmap --enable Map fpls.map` where `updmap` alone didn't resolve the problem. Given that it's still an issue 8 years later, would you think that I should register a bug against how texlive-core is being packaged? It stopped me cold from compiling my documents for a couple hours until I found this discussion.

#11 2017-04-10 23:45:55

Bleckenburger

@storrgie

I recently had the same problem with euler.map. It turned out, that after installation (of the texlive-most packages) the entry in
/etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
which should have been "Map euler.map" had additional white space after "Map". Therefore, the entry was not properly recognized. Removing this white space and running updmap(-sys) solved the issue.

I don't know, how this file is created. It says in the beginning:

# The updmap.cfg in the TEXMFDIST tree is generated by tlmgr by
# concatenating updmap-hdr.cfg with the updmap.cfg files in this tree.

However, I don't know, what exactly "updmap.cfg files in this tree" means (I found none) and I didn't have a closer look at
/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl
which seems to create it. I had the problem every time after multiple new installations. Seems to be a bug somewhere. Has anyone had the same issue, or knows how this problem arises? Should I file a bug report?

Cheers
Bleckenburger

#12 2017-04-11 00:28:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I'm not familiar with latex packages, but if there is a problem with a file, and the solution is to remove whitespace from it, then the package maintainer should at least be made aware of this. Check for any existing (including closed) bug reports about this problem, and if none exists, open one.

I'm going to go ahead and close this very old thread now.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer