You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-10 17:36:31

CrazyShadowy

Nvidia-settings keeps switching to power setting 0

Hey guys, I've been having a problem with Nvidia-settings lately, I have an overclock set on my 750 ti, but randomly while playing a game or just doing whatever Nvidia-settings will say "to heck with you" and go from power setting 1 with my OC to power setting 0 with shite clock speeds. I'm not able to figure out why it does this and the only way I've found to set it back is to reboot my system, the wiki doesn't have this issue and I've not found it from searching online either. I figured if anyone could help me, it'd be the Arch forums.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Shadow.

#2 2017-04-10 19:22:59

Ropid

Re: Nvidia-settings keeps switching to power setting 0

Does it only happen when the card is under load, or does it also happen when you do nothing special, like just web browsing?

If it's only happening under load, I've seen that behavior on my GTX 680 when the VRM = "voltage regulator module" area of the card got too hot. There's no sensor for this, just for the GPU core. This means I was just guessing that this was the problem. The back of the card was super hot. The problems were gone after I removed the original fans and tied two thick 92mm fans onto the card's cooler. I also tried to improve air flow in the case a little, removed stuff that was in the way, positioned case fans a bit different, and let the case fans run faster.

If you think this might also be happening for you, you could test it through running the PC with the case side panel removed so that the card is always in fresh air. You could try to see what happens if you increase the card's fan speed manually, and what happens when you increase case fan speeds.

#3 2017-04-10 21:46:21

CrazyShadowy

It has happened in both situations, both under load and just browsing or in between programs, I.E switching from Discord to Firefox and switching workspaces.

Hopefully we have a monitor for that section, I do have the fan set to 60% instead of the default 40% that it funs at. I would try to put more fans on but I have the mini card and I don't have any extra fans currently. So far after I posted, I haven't had that issue but I haven't played much since then. I'll test it some more and if it does that again I'll take the side panel off and test, if neither of those work I'll increase the fan speed. I have two fans in the front, while I could move my HDD to a lower section on the cage, that's the only thing in the way of the GPU and the front intake fans. I do think I'll move the HDD to the bottom of the cage compared to the top and increase what air flow I can with that.

#4 2017-04-11 15:17:36

CrazyShadowy

Alright, so I was just browsing Reddit and it just switched itself again. I have no idea why or anything and I have a very strong feeling it wasn't caused by heat given what I was doing, the card is sitting at 24c idle right now. I'm about to move the HDD down to a lower section of the cage. I've not a clue why it's doing this.

#5 2017-04-11 16:37:44

CrazyShadowy

Ropid wrote:

Does it only happen when the card is under load, or does it also happen when you do nothing special, like just web browsing?

If it's only happening under load, I've seen that behavior on my GTX 680 when the VRM = "voltage regulator module" area of the card got too hot. There's no sensor for this, just for the GPU core. This means I was just guessing that this was the problem. The back of the card was super hot. The problems were gone after I removed the original fans and tied two thick 92mm fans onto the card's cooler. I also tried to improve air flow in the case a little, removed stuff that was in the way, positioned case fans a bit different, and let the case fans run faster.

If you think this might also be happening for you, you could test it through running the PC with the case side panel removed so that the card is always in fresh air. You could try to see what happens if you increase the card's fan speed manually, and what happens when you increase case fan speeds.

Alright so, I dusted out my computer and did what I could for air flow, lowered my OC a smidge and left the side panel off. Played Rust for about 10 minutes and then it switched to low power mode. The highest I saw it reach was 55C, fan was set to 60%, the back of the card didn't feel hot to the touch. I'm out of ideas on what to do, for now I reboot and try again but at this point I feel as if Nvidia is mocking me and making it so I can't OC my card further than EVGA did.

#6 2017-04-11 18:37:42

Ropid

Yes, this can't be heat. This should be a bug in the driver? You could try the 381.09 beta in the AUR. The way I remember, the easiest way to install it was using that "nvidia-full-beta" package. That's one single PKGBUILD that replaces all the separate packages (you need to edit the PKGBUILD and set that one variable at the beginning to also get lib32 packages).

#7 2017-04-11 19:44:07

CrazyShadowy

Ropid wrote:

Yes, this can't be heat. This should be a bug in the driver? You could try the 381.09 beta in the AUR. The way I remember, the easiest way to install it was using that "nvidia-full-beta" package. That's one single PKGBUILD that replaces all the separate packages (you need to edit the PKGBUILD and set that one variable at the beginning to also get lib32 packages).

Thanks for the reply, actually a friend did some digging amdist hearding about my troubles and found a solution, that being this. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … 0/#3888310

While the only downside is it runs at max speeds at all times, so it could risk more damage compared to having it clock down a bit then back up, but so long as it doesn't got to locking itself at 405Mhz core and 810Mhz on the memory, it should be fine for me. Once again, the card is factory over clocked so I might toss away the 20Mhz OC I put on the core and just have the Vram overclocked, the reason for that was while they did factory OC the card, they never touched the Vram and increasing that alone helped me get some nice performance boosts in certain games.

#8 2017-04-11 20:32:37

Ropid

About that link you found, you could try to switch things before and after the game. This here seems to enable the default mode of the driver from the command line:

nvidia-settings -a gpupowermizermode=2

... and this is the max-performance mode:

nvidia-settings -a gpupowermizermode=1

If you know that the "max performance" mode fixes the problem, you could try launch options like this for games in Steam:

nvidia-settings -a gpupowermizermode=1; %command%; nvidia-settings -a gpupowermizermode=2

This should switch to performance before the game starts, then back to the default when the game quits.

There's also an "application profiles" area in the nvidia-settings GUI where you should be able to configure something special for certain programs, but I don't understand how that GUI works.

Board footer