You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-11 08:55:19

kalsan

[solved] Looking for a todo app that syncs to my phone and runs on i3

Hi there! I want to sync my TODOs between my laptop (Arch Linux, i3 WM) and my Android phone. Requirements:
-> Installable on Arch Linux
-> Works when offline
-> Reliable synchronization in both ways using a cost-free service (such as Google Tasks or RememberTheMilk)
-> Tray icon (not a unity indicator, it must be an i3-compatible standard tray icon) that changes its color when there is a task due today (or alternatively shows the number of tasks)
-> Start minimized (tray icon only) and be able to display and hide it (e.g. by clicking the tray icon)
-> Program should not crash

I tried the following already:
-> tasque: tray icon does not change color or show task count, program not stable (frequent crashes and freezes)
-> gtg with tray icon plugin: tray icon does not change color or show task count, sync with RememberTheMilk is not working, once open the window wouldn't minimize again
-> rememberthemilk: it's basically a window displaying their website, no tray icon, no offline state, no minimization feature
-> Google task Chrome plugin: No tray icon because it's a Chrome plugin...

Any ideas what else I could try?

Cheers,
Kalsan

Last edited by kalsan (2017-07-29 13:12:46)

#2 2017-04-11 12:28:34

imdn

Re: [solved] Looking for a todo app that syncs to my phone and runs on i3

MobileOrg on your phone and Emacs + Orgmode on your machine.  Use Dropbox etc. for sync

Check http://orgmode.org/manual/MobileOrg.html.

#3 2017-04-11 16:09:18

stupidus

You could also use todo.txt. It uses a plaintext file, so you can use Dropbox, Syncthing etc. It isn't even really an application, it's more of a fileformat, which a lot of applications can use. So there are smartphone apps, a commandline interface, vim plugins, full blown QT GUI frontends etc. I don't know, if there is also an application that does notifications, but you can check: http://todotxt.com/

#4 2017-04-11 17:17:17

ewaller
Administrator

These don't quite meet the requirements stated.  I like the org mode idea, but the OP wants i3 integration by way of the system tray.  Note that this could be done with a little emacs lisp and a bit of Bash scripting.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-04-11 20:30:00

kalsan

Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I should add as a requirement that I'm looking for existing software. I could always write my own bash, ruby or python script, but then this post would not have been necessary.

So the question is whether there is a "nice" way (say, that can be set up in less than an hour) to achieve this. I'll take the risk that there is no such way. With this forum post I'd like to make sure I don't spend a lot of time on this, only to find out later that there would have been a software that does the trick instantly.

#6 2017-04-11 20:59:29

progandy

You can try "Google Tasks Indicator". Even though it uses libappindicator, this library should fall back to a tray icon if it cannot create an indicator.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~lorenzo-ca … nato/files
I think that may be a newer fork: https://github.com/atareao/google-tasks-indicator

I don't remember if the icon changes, I haven't used it for a while.

Last edited by progandy (2017-04-11 21:14:43)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2017-07-29 13:11:49

kalsan

I've gone for the Google Tasks Chromium Plugin and the GTasks App. I've been using them for a while now and, despite some time to get used to them, it's a nice workflow. I guess I can mark this topic as solved.

Last edited by kalsan (2017-07-29 13:12:17)

Board footer