You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-01 09:41:18

Ryochan7
Website

ffmpeg support for stepmania-cvs

I have been looking into adding ffmpeg support for the stepmania-cvs package. The main problem is that StepMania will continue to depend on the old 0.4.9-pre1 version of ffmpeg in order for video support to work properly. Following the directions on the StepMania website were not that helpful but I have found a slightly easier way to build StepMania with ffmpeg built into the application; a lot of the time was spent trying to find a decent configuration. The 0.4.9-pre1 version of ffmpeg would only be required to build StepMania but, since the required ffmpeg libraries will be built into StepMania, it is not required to run the application so the older version of ffmpeg can then be uninstalled or be replaced with the current ffmpeg package in extra.

I was wondering whether the people who are using stepmania-cvs would want ffmpeg support included and would be willing to put up with the hassle of installing a custom ffmpeg package during every install and upgrade. The stepmania-cvs package will only be updated when a new Windows CVS snapshot is released if people want this change. I want stepmania-cvs to closely resemble what is included with the Windows snapshots and the current CVS snapshot does include video support in the application.

The video support isn't that great with either the version that I have built or with the Windows CVS snapshot. Playing video seems to bog down StepMania a bit; it isn't really noticable most of the time. I have messed around with the StepMania 3.9 source code and video playback is a lot better with that version.

In case anyone is wondering, I have thought about making a PKGBUILD that would build StepMania 3.9 from source instead of using the pre-built binary package like the current one does. The main reason for continuing the use of the binary package was because of the ffmpeg issue, including conflicting with any current ffmpeg installation, and because there is no option to build StepMania 3.9 without ffmpeg support. Now, it is because StepMania 3.9 will not build with the current version of sdl in the Arch repository; it will build with the 1.2.9 package. So, I am still going with my stance of not worrying about making a PKGBUILD that makes StepMania 3.9 from the source code.

This has been a long winded post but I would really appreciate any feedback on this issue. I would personally like to have ffmpeg support in the stepmania-cvs package but I don't want to inconvenience others if other people don't want to deal with the hassle of getting ffmpeg support working.

Random: Something that is a lot better with the Linux version of StepMania 4.0 CVS are the load times. With the current Windows CVS snapshot, it takes like 5 seconds to go to the song selection screen, no matter if it is after loading StepMania for the first time or after playing a song, while the Linux version takes around 1 second.

#2 2006-06-02 07:06:43

Ryochan7
Website

Re: ffmpeg support for stepmania-cvs

I ended up uploading a package for StepMania 3.9 that builds the program from source.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=5453

There is a little howto posted in the first comment if anyone is really interested in taking the time to install the package. Building StepMania 4.0 CVS with video support isn't as bad because StepMania 4.0 CVS does not use SDL and there is no other stepmania package that StepMania 4.0 CVS might initially conflict with. However, some of the process is the same so you can see what process you would have to go through with each upgrade if you are using the stepmania-cvs package and want ffmpeg support.

#3 2006-06-11 16:51:38

Ryochan7
Website

Re: ffmpeg support for stepmania-cvs

I guess that nobody will have a problem with video support being added to the stepmania-cvs package. I just updated stepmania-cvs with the necessary changes for video support to work. Just like when the stepmania package was uploaded to the AUR, I posted a little howto for installing stepmania-cvs with the most recent changes. The howto is the last comment posted on the AUR page for stepmania-cvs. I am also messing around with making a custom repository. So far, I have put up some of my packages from the AUR. The repository will include pre-built packages of stepmania and stepmania-cvs. In order to access my repository, add the following two lines to /etc/pacman.conf:

[ryochan7]
Server = http://bored.homelinux.net/arch/ryochan7

Then run pacman -Sy. My upload connection isn't that great (peaks around 45 KB/s) so it might take a while to download any package from my repository.

Board footer