You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-15 12:34:31

exzombie

Bluetooth audio and user switching

I have a set of bluetooth speakers, a headset and a phone, all of them working beautifully with each other and with the computer. The only snag is when more than one user is logged into the computer. The first user to log in gets access to the devices' audio features and when another logs in using logind's session management, audio will not work for them. Even if devices are disconnected and reconnected, and even if the bluetooth adapter is unplugged and replugged. It is not dependent on the desktop environment (tested with Plasma and i3) or bluetooth manager (tested with bluetoothctl, blueman and the Plasma applet).

It seems to me that the first user's pulseaudio instance gets dibs on bluetooth. This does not happen with the motherboard's audio interface: when switching users, the first user's audio stops and the second user can play audio normally. Bluetooth doesn't seem to work that way, when switching users the audio keeps playing for the first user. Does anyone know why bluetooth behaves differently and what can be done about this? For the record, I tried killing the first user's pulseaudio instance, but it doesn't help; it is immediately respawned of course, and it doesn't loose its grip on bluetooth. I'm not sure which part of the system decides access permissions because all users can connect and disconnect devices, it's just that only the first one to log in can use audio.

Thanks!

#2 2017-04-15 15:01:39

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Bluetooth audio and user switching

Are you using tools such as bluetoothctl or are you using the built in functions of an integrated desktop environment?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-04-15 15:31:20

exzombie

Re: Bluetooth audio and user switching

As stated, I tried bluetoothctl, blueman and the KDE Plasma applet. No difference whatsoever.

Board footer