You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-10 01:50:52

McCrazyJorch

Can't log with Wheel User, but only with Root User - GNOME 3.22.2

Hello ! I've installed Arch Linux yesterday (I'm not so powerful with GNU/Linux).

Desktop Enviroment that I'm using is Gnome 3.22.2.

uname -r  ---> 4.9.21-1-lts

I have a root account and a "normal" account.

I've added this account with the following commads:

useradd -m -G wheel -s /bin/bash [my_username]

And then set my passwd with

passwd [my_username]

When I go in the Log in screen, if I click on my account and write my password, it seems like it works, then just freezes there with the cursor and just a black screen... but, if I go with "Other accounts" and then with the root user, everythings works...

I've been looking in the Documentation and I haven't seen that problem... And the posts that I've seen here, and not so similar to my issue (or that is what I've understood  yikes)...

I don't know if it is a permissions issue, or if that first "Add user" command is just an uncompleted "Add-user-mechanism".

I tried to be as much specific and polite as I can, I would like direct polite answers, even if those mean "Read this Part of the Documentation" or "the issue is this, look from there" ok ? Thanks !

(Last line was because I have seen some "God of Arch" around there, who answers as they have been born with the Computer knowledge and never been a rookie in their lifes).

#2 2017-04-10 04:02:33

equ
Website

Re: Can't log with Wheel User, but only with Root User - GNOME 3.22.2

$HOME/.xsession-errors
/var/log/X.*.log
journalctl

And the early userspace dawns...

#3 2017-04-10 04:49:33

loafer

The wheel group is also a red herring.  Whether or not your user can login is not connected to its membership of wheel.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#4 2017-04-10 13:25:35

McCrazyJorch

equ wrote:
$HOME/.xsession-errors
/var/log/X.*.log
journalctl

.xsession-erros is not in

/var/log

, there are just

Xorg.0.log

and

Xorg.0.log.old

starting with X...

I have looked, in the

journalctl

, but there is too much information there (what key-word should I look for?)... I have seen "the Root User logged in tty1", but haven't found what it says when I just log in the other account... sad

loafer wrote:

The wheel group is also a red herring.  Whether or not your user can login is not connected to its membership of wheel.

How can I make that connection correctly ? What do I need to add to my account properties?

#5 2017-04-10 14:03:50

cafe

Try to login into a terminal before testing the graphical interface. Access any tty terminal with ATL + CTRL + F2/F3/F4 and try to login.
You can check the wiki page on how to filter your journal output. Look for login errors or X/GDM error messages.

#6 2017-04-10 14:35:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

McCrazyJorch (paraphrased) wrote:

.xsession-erros is not in /var/log

No one suggested it was.  Equ was pointing you to 3 different sources of information.  If you post those files on a filesharing site, we can help with your problem.  Otherwise we have no idea what is happening.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2017-04-11 04:54:42

McCrazyJorch

Sorry, what I meant was that I haven't found .xsession-errors sad (I looked for it in /var/log thinking that I would find it there smile ) Ok, I will update them !

Thanks! big_smile

#8 2017-04-11 10:34:18

alaskanarcher

Read a bit more carefully

equ wrote:
$HOME/.xsession-errors

$HOME means your user's home folder, /home/username/.xsession-errors

journalctl has output from all systemd services. It is a powerful tool that is important to know how to use for debugging and using Linux. As has already been suggested, go read the wiki to learn how to filter it.

This sounds like an issue with your display manager and desktop environment, yet you haven't told us what you are using for those and how you set them up.

The symptoms of the problem you are describing are too generic. We need to know what software you are running for a DM and DE and we need logs from those programs to even begin to think about helping.

Last edited by alaskanarcher (2017-04-17 19:11:57)

#9 2017-04-11 14:13:44

McCrazyJorch

Trilby wrote:

No one suggested it was.  Equ was pointing you to 3 different sources of information.  If you post those files on a filesharing site, we can help with your problem.  Otherwise we have no idea what is happening.

Yes, my mistake, I was looking in the root home, not the user home...

cafe wrote:

Try to login into a terminal before testing the graphical interface. Access any tty terminal with ATL + CTRL + F2/F3/F4 and try to login.
You can check the wiki page on how to filter your journal output. Look for login errors or X/GDM error messages.

Yes, I'll look in the wiki. (I've never read a log file before)...

alaskanarcher wrote:

$HOME means your user's home folder, /home/username/.xsession-errors
journalctl has output from all systemd services. It is a powerful tool that is important to know how to use for debugging and use Linux. As has already been suggested, go read the wiki to learn how to filter it.
This sounds like an issue with your display manager and desktop environment, yet you haven't told us what you are using for those and how you set them up.
The symptoms of the problem you are describing are too generic. We need to know what software you are running for a DM and DE and we need logs from those programs to even begin to think about helping.

Thanks!

Here I let you the link with the files you told me inspect, I'll try to go paralell to you:

https://mega.nz/#F!egt3gbrJ!W_-sN_NJri-zMZhRKM57rw

#10 2017-04-11 15:13:21

loqs

$ file user-1000.journal 
user-1000.journal: Journal file, offline

That is one of systemd's journal files for user 1000, so it does not include system journal contents, is not in text format and is not the filtered output from journalctl for one boot of the system when the issue is encountered.
Please also use a pastebin.

#11 2017-04-17 19:27:39

alaskanarcher

@McCrazyJorch

We're somewhat moving in the right direction. As @loqs said, what you posted doesn't help us because a) it is not filtered, and b) we have to download the files to view them. I don't download strange files from a stranger. Use pastebin or gists to allow us to view them as text in the browser.

The symptoms you originally posted:
You log in with a user account from (presumably) the gnome login manager. When you login with root, the desktop environment boots normally. When you login with your user account, it leaves you with a cursor on a black screen.

Is this correct?

Can you move the cursor on the black screen? Does the system appear to be frozen or can you switch to other terminal prompts?

Have you followed the directions on the wiki regarding setting up GNOME?
Or starting X at login?

You should carefully re-read the wiki pages for GNOME and xinit and make sure that you followed instructions properly.
Best of luck.

#12 2017-04-17 19:40:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

alaskanarcher wrote:

we have to download the files to view them.

I can't even download them from that "mega" when I try to.  That is a horrid site.  It even somehow grabs right clicks and overrides the browser's default behavior.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2017-04-18 21:05:02

McCrazyJorch

loqs wrote:
$ file user-1000.journal 
user-1000.journal: Journal file, offline

That is one of systemd's journal files for user 1000, so it does not include system journal contents, is not in text format and is not the filtered output from journalctl for one boot of the system when the issue is encountered.
Please also use a pastebin.

Thanks but can you clarify it a little bit more please? I've thought that the problem was related to the user, I have just one "user" aside the "root account" yikes

But, then what would be the correct file to show the "system journal contents" or the "filtered output from journalctl" ?

I've seen in the page that Pastebin is not longer used for many people because of some issues, I'll try other one smile

alaskanarcher wrote:

@McCrazyJorch
We're somewhat moving in the right direction. As @loqs said, what you posted doesn't help us because a) it is not filtered, and b) we have to download the files to view them. I don't download strange files from a stranger. Use pastebin or gists to allow us to view them as text in the browser.
The symptoms you originally posted:
You log in with a user account from (presumably) the gnome login manager. When you login with root, the desktop environment boots normally. When you login with your user account, it leaves you with a cursor on a black screen.
Is this correct?
Can you move the cursor on the black screen? Does the system appear to be frozen or can you switch to other terminal prompts?
Have you followed the directions on the wiki regarding setting up GNOME?
Or starting X at login?
You should carefully re-read the wiki pages for GNOME and xinit and make sure that you followed instructions properly.
Best of luck.

a) Do you mean that I should filter it following these Steps ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal

Or do I need to see other part of the Documentation ?

b) Yes, I've asked for a "filesharing site" thinking about a place a Fileshare or Megaupload (just giving as example)... My mistake! (I'm also skeptical about downloading strangers files)

Answering to the symptoms:

- Yes, that is correct sir. No, I can't it just freezes there, yes I can switch to other terminals doing the ATL + CTRL + F2/F3/F4...

I think, it seems as the user "doesn't have rights" to "execute the gnome enviroment" or something like that sad (This is just my noob thought )...

Trilby wrote:

I can't even download them from that "mega" when I try to.  That is a horrid site.  It even somehow grabs right clicks and overrides the browser's default behavior.

a) Woah! That is totally strange... I sended the correct link with the key to download it... But as everyone here said, I'll put that in some Filesharing site like Pastebin...

b) Yes, some of that "grabbing the right clicks" is to make it easier when you try to organize your files there, it behaves as a normal "File Explorer"... I've thought that MEGA was well known in every part of the world...

#14 2017-04-18 21:13:59

loqs

The problem as I understand it is logging into GDM which should be running as a system service so the output from gdm would be stored in the system journal not the journal of the user that failed to log in.
Yes the link in a) documents how to filter journal output for a particular unit you can also find it in the man page for journalctl search for --unit.
Edit:
Please also filter the output down to that from a single boot that illustrates the issue unless you think multiple boots worth of output provides additional informational not present in any one single boot.

Last edited by loqs (2017-04-18 21:35:49)

#15 2017-04-19 00:23:36

McCrazyJorch

loqs wrote:

The problem as I understand it is logging into GDM which should be running as a system service so the output from gdm would be stored in the system journal not the journal of the user that failed to log in.
Yes the link in a) documents how to filter journal output for a particular unit you can also find it in the man page for journalctl search for --unit.
Edit:
Please also filter the output down to that from a single boot that illustrates the issue unless you think multiple boots worth of output provides additional informational not present in any one single boot.

Ahh now I see... Ok! I'll do that... Give me some time to read the Documentation.

Thanks!

#16 2017-04-19 06:25:39

seth

When I go in the Log in screen, if I click on my account and write my password, it seems like it works, then just freezes there with the cursor and just a black screen.

Does the cursor move?
When this happens, head over to another VT, log into the console (as your user - works?) and run and paste the output of "ps fax | tee current_processes.txt" (creates "current_processes.txt" with the output), "finger -l" and "id"

What kind of session do you attempt to log in with your preferred user? Is it the same as for the root user?

#17 2017-05-15 19:10:19

McCrazyJorch

seth wrote:

When I go in the Log in screen, if I click on my account and write my password, it seems like it works, then just freezes there with the cursor and just a black screen.

Does the cursor move?
When this happens, head over to another VT, log into the console (as your user - works?) and run and paste the output of "ps fax | tee current_processes.txt" (creates "current_processes.txt" with the output), "finger -l" and "id"

What kind of session do you attempt to log in with your preferred user? Is it the same as for the root user?

Yes, it just hangs up there... but I can change to other tty with Alt+(Number) and log in there...

I've asked a guy too when I was researching about what could be the problem, and he asked me: "in what mode" or "as which user" have I made the installation... I told him, that I did it as root user...

And the answered me, that maybe that is the problem... Because the "normal user" won't have the permissions to use the DE.

Can I ask if it seems like a correct solution? Because if so... Maybe I'll go in that direction and trying to make a fresh installation of the DE...

Last edited by McCrazyJorch (2017-05-15 19:11:05)

#18 2017-05-15 19:19:30

loqs

All packages installed by pacman are installed as root and file ownership etc is adjusted in a packages install script.
If you choose not to provide the information requested in posts #14 and #16 then I do not see how help can be provided beyond speculation.

#19 2017-05-15 19:35:03

seth

On top of what loqs said, this: 'Because the "normal user" won't have the permissions to use the DE.' is absolutely wrong.
Nowadays a couple of DM/DEs rather tend to suppress root logins.

#20 2017-05-19 19:01:57

McCrazyJorch

loqs wrote:

All packages installed by pacman are installed as root and file ownership etc is adjusted in a packages install script.
If you choose not to provide the information requested in posts #14 and #16 then I do not see how help can be provided beyond speculation.

Yes, I know (I haven't learn yet how to filter it correctly and I didn't want to post again a lot of useless information).

I was trying things on my own so maybe I could find the solution... But now I deleted the DE and can't connect to internet for some reason...

I will try to fix that, and after that I'll post the files smile

seth wrote:

On top of what loqs said, this: 'Because the "normal user" won't have the permissions to use the DE.' is absolutely wrong.
Nowadays a couple of DM/DEs rather tend to suppress root logins.

That's good to know!

I think is because all what I still know as "GNU/Linux" was Ubuntu and some lil of Kali Linux... Some things I thought were "normal", now with Arch doesn't apply, e.g there is no DE installed by default with arch big_smile

Board footer