You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-22 02:41:16

Spawn

Lollypop Music Player: GTK/Dbus Problem

Hi,

I've just installed the nice lollypop 0.9.231-1 music player, on my XFCE desktop.
However, when I want to start it, the app opens, and quickly shuts down itself, in about 2-3 sec.
(a real crash!)

I get the following error message:

/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gi/module.py:178: Warning: g_array_append_vals: assertion 'array' failed
  g_type = info.get_g_type()
/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gi/module.py:178: Warning: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion 'hash_table != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/gi/module.py:178: Warning: g_hash_table_insert_internal: assertion 'hash_table != NULL' failed

(lollypop:31037): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "RegisterClient" with signature "ss" on interface "org.xfce.Session.Manager" doesn't exist

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/lollypop/GioNotify.py", line 72, in on_Notify_finish
    self._replace_id = self.call_finish(result).unpack()[0]
GLib.Error: g-dbus-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying (4)

I decided to run:

pacman -Syyu

just to make sure my system is up to date.  With no luck  sad

What's next?

Last edited by Spawn (2017-04-22 02:41:37)

#2 2017-05-04 10:44:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Lollypop Music Player: GTK/Dbus Problem

There are many threads on the board where a variation of this is asked. It almost always boils to incomplete session setup on logon. How do you login? How do you start X? If it is via an entry in .xinitrc you should make sure that you use template from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and have the if condition intact, so that the scripts which are necessary for setting up your user's dbus are run correctly. If you use a DM you should configure it to run the scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d

You might want to post, in order to verify this, the output of

printenv | grep DBUS

Last edited by V1del (2017-05-04 10:45:33)

#3 2017-05-05 07:36:12

Spawn

Re: Lollypop Music Player: GTK/Dbus Problem

@V1del Thanks for your reply.

This is interesting.  I may soon find out why some applications are leaving error messages, just like Lollypop that refuses to start.

Here's the output of

printenv | grep DBUS
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus

Is this enough?  I'm not so comfortable with DBUS stuff, so I can't tell.

I'm not using startX, so xinitrc is pretty useless I guess.
My Display Manager is automatically started via systemd, and the one I'm using is LightDM.  Looking at the output of /etc/lightdm/Xsession, I can see that it's pretty similar to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
And all scripts from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d are being run from this Xsession script.

Now I'm wondering...  Lollypop is a music player for Gnome, should it work with XFCE?

Board footer