You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-19 16:00:40

ArchDOS

Latest update causes problems - worth a bug report?

Hi there,
I normally uncomment "testing" and "multilib" before I install/update arch but I ran into an issue.
When getting the latest update I can't use ntpd anymore because it causes an error with shared libraries (libcrypto.so) due to the new openssl package.
When I downgrade the package back from actual 1.1 to 1.0.0 I can use ntpd again buit I am not be able to use pacman anymore, because it requires the latest libcrypto.so.1.1.
I was playing around with soft linking a little bit, but it didn't solve the issue.

Anyone ideas how to fix that, or is it worth enough to file a bug report?

Thanks in advance,
ArchDOS

Last edited by ArchDOS (2017-04-19 16:01:52)

#2 2017-04-19 16:08:44

ayekat

Re: Latest update causes problems - worth a bug report?

ArchDOS wrote:

I normally uncomment "testing" and "multilib" before I install/update arch but I ran into an issue.

Why do you do that? In which circumstances do you comment them out again?

Last edited by ayekat (2017-04-19 16:09:59)

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2017-04-19 16:12:49

ArchDOS

ayekat wrote:
ArchDOS wrote:

Why do you do that? In which circumstances do you comment them out again?

I like to have the newest version available, especially the newest kernel.

#4 2017-04-19 16:17:29

loqs

ntp 4.2.8.p9-2 should be linked against openssl 1.1 https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … e714696a7c

#5 2017-04-19 16:17:29

Scimmia
Fellow

What version of ntp? If you're on Testing, it should be 4.2.8.p9-2

#6 2017-04-19 16:19:52

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Comment [testing] and [multilib] then run pacman -Syuu to downgrade to stable versions.  Do you need the mutli gcc?  [testing] is a dangerous place, don't use it unless you need to.  You can usually cherry pick the latest kernel or compile your own without issue.  Just know that some modules (nvidia or vbox for example) might need manual rebuilds.  If you don't have either of those or other modules that aren't provided by the kernel package, it's generally safe to use the latest one in my experience.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2017-04-19 16:20:54

Scimmia
Fellow

Or leave testing enabled and just do -Syuu. Stop commenting testing out and you'll avoid these problems.

#8 2017-04-19 16:22:28

ayekat

ArchDOS wrote:

I assume that you mean: "Sometimes I install packages from the [testing] repo, and sometimes I don't".
In that case you would be running partial upgrades, which explains the following:

When getting the latest update I can't use ntpd anymore because it causes an error with shared libraries (libcrypto.so) due to the new openssl package.
When I downgrade the package back from actual 1.1 to 1.0.0 I can use ntpd again buit I am not be able to use pacman anymore, because it requires the latest libcrypto.so.1.1.

And:

I was playing around with soft linking a little bit, but it didn't solve the issue.

Symlinking library files to work around soname bumps will likely break things. There is usually a reason for why the version number is incremented. It may work, but it may also set things on fire.

--edit--
wow - very late, I should hit that "preview" button more often

--edit2--
Also, what was said above - I'd recommend either going full testing or not. Apart from the kernel, it can get tricky to cherry-pick packages from the testing repository.

Last edited by ayekat (2017-04-19 16:25:00)

pkgshackscfgblag

#9 2017-04-19 16:30:49

ArchDOS

At first, thank y'all for your input.
I just wondered if it was a bug or my fault, since I am pretty new to Arch.

Since I hit the -Syu option again right now it got a fix, should have done that before posting, but encountering now a different error, which is not that "big" (ntpd[709]: unable to bind to wildcard address :: - another process may be running - EXITING
).

ayekat wrote:
ArchDOS wrote:

I assume that you mean: "Sometimes I install packages from the [testing] repo, and sometimes I don't".

Also, what was said above - I'd recommend either going full testing or not. Apart from the kernel, it can get tricky to cherry-pick packages from the testing repository.

No, no, it was meant like when I (re)install Arch, I'm uncommenting testing and multilib before I hit the "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel" or "pacman -Syu" command.
So the whole system is on testing.

#10 2017-04-19 16:35:46

ayekat

ArchDOS wrote:

No, no, it was meant like when I (re)install Arch, I'm uncommenting testing and multilib before I hit the "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel" or "pacman -Syu" command.

OK... I might have been a bit irritated by the "before pacman -Syu", then, as you've already uncommented the lines during the installation of the system.

However, multilib has nothing to do with testing (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multilib).
Also, according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … es#testing, you should uncomment community-testing, too (and as you are using multilib, also multilib-testing).

pkgshackscfgblag

#11 2017-04-19 16:45:41

ArchDOS

ayekat wrote:
ArchDOS wrote:

OK... I might have been a bit irritated by the "before pacman -Syu", then, as you've already uncommented the lines during the installation of the system.

However, multilib has nothing to do with testing (see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multilib).
Also, according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … es#testing, you should uncomment community-testing, too (and as you are using multilib, also multilib-testing).

Will keep that in mind, thanks for the info!

#12 2017-04-22 20:20:41

cirrus
Website

The libcrypto.so shared lib is now fixed, do an -Syu and the  update will solve the libcrypto.so error

Board footer