You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-06 19:06:19

baastrup

icaclient fails to install due to gstreamer from AUR

Im trying to install icaclient icaclient from AUR with apacman.

but hits the below error:

==> Finished making: gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.36-8 (Mon Feb  6 19:57:52 CET 2017)
  -> Status
    built  (1): gstreamer0.10-base
    remain (3): -base -good-plugins icaclient

-> Saving package: gstreamer0.10-base-plugins-0.10.36-8-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
  -> Installing gstreamer0.10-base
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "gstreamer0.10-base=0.10.36", a dependency of "gstreamer0.10-base-plugins"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      gstreamer0.10-base-plugins

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] 
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

What is wrong here? and how do I fix it?

#2 2017-02-07 09:23:21

a821

Re: icaclient fails to install due to gstreamer from AUR

Maybe apacman cannot deal with split packages (I don't use it so I don't know for sure) ... Install them manually (makepkg).

Last edited by a821 (2017-02-07 09:32:18)

#3 2017-04-23 17:43:04

bkach

I'm pretty new to Arch and am also running into this issue.

I could install gstreamer manually using makepkg (as shown on the wiki) as suggested both here on on similar threads, but i'm hesitant to do so as I currently use pacaur.

I understand that building using the aur helpers are not officially supported by Arch, but I would still like to know if and how installing it manually would differ from installing it using pacaur.

I'm wondering:

• Would I still get updates via pacaur -Syu if I install it manually?

• Would pacaur be able to see that it is installed - and would other dependencies be able to use the one I built instead of the one taken from pacaur?

• When I install it manually, will it remove the previous version and replace it automatically?

• Are there any other significant differences I should know about?

Last edited by bkach (2017-04-23 17:52:14)

#4 2017-04-23 18:42:00

ewaller
Administrator

The following assumes that manual is defined as building the package using makepkg and then installing it with pacman

bkach wrote:

Would I still get updates via pacaur -Syu if I install it manually?

Yes

Would pacaur be able to see that it is installed - and would other dependencies be able to use the one I built instead of the one taken from pacaur?

Yes

When I install it manually, will it remove the previous version and replace it automatically?

Yes

Are there any other significant differences I should know about?

Not really -- As long as things go well.  Sometimes helpers get into trouble and nothing but doing it by hand will sort it out

It is not so much that helpers are a bad thing.  They are not officially supported, but most of us use one.  I use pacaur.  I used to use packer. I loath yaourt
They are all tools.  Some of those tools are higher quality than others.   The problem is using a tool as a crutch when you don't understand what is going on under the hood.  Student pilots often fly planes with autopilots; seldom are they ever allowed to use them until after they actually learn to fly the plane by hand.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-04-23 19:22:27

bkach

Makes sense, I'll give manually installing a go!

And the pilot analogy is great, it's part of the reason I like Arch. Case in point: while I might understand how to build a package using makepkg and then installing with pacman, I'm not totally clear on how pacman then manages the package in such a way that it fits smoothly into the rest of the OS's ecosystem. Will consult the wiki smile.

=====

Manually installing worked perfectly, thank you for the advice!

Last edited by bkach (2017-04-23 19:33:09)

Board footer