You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-26 13:35:53

ThePatientOne

curl and/or openssl issues preventing use of pacman [SOLVED]

Hi guys, first ever post on any forum regarding technical issue, so the problem is either really difficult or (more likely) I've missed something extremely obvious.

General Issue
Curl is unable to work at all on my system. An example of this is to use pacman to update the system. I receive the following error

:: Synchronising package databases...
pacman: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: undefined symbol: SSL_load_error_strings

There was an issue with openssl which I will describe in detail how I *ahem* "fixed" below.

Potential Cause
1: Wanted to install vsftpd but for some reason required an update for my openssl
2: Did a pacman update for openssl
3: It fails for some reason, breaks all packages that rely on it. Couldn't reinstall.
4: Manually download and link libssl and libcrypto until the openssl errors go away.
5: Now any library that depend on curl (which uses openssl) comes up with

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: undefined symbol: SSL_load_error_strings 

I feel I took the wrong steps to fix the issue, and thus made the problem worse. I should have done an entire system upgrade, not just openssl.

Any help to solve the issue would be great. Apologies if there isn't enough info here, I've not had any other error messages.

Last edited by ThePatientOne (2017-08-24 07:41:52)

#2 2017-04-26 13:37:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: curl and/or openssl issues preventing use of pacman [SOLVED]

There was a minor (and brief) glitch in the repos with the new openssl.  That has long* since been resolved.  Please just fully update your system (pacman -Syu).  If you get errors using pacman, post there errors here.

*long being a relative term in a rolling release: close to 48 hours now.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-04-26 13:44:35

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

If you are unable to use pacman to upgrade your system, try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … an_upgrade

#4 2017-04-26 13:58:18

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

ThePatientOne wrote:

I should have done an entire system upgrade, not just openssl.

Yes, exactly that. What you did was a partial update, and these are not supported for this very reason.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2017-04-27 10:29:50

ThePatientOne

Cheers guys. I've sorted it using 2ManyDogs's solution. That said there were additional steps that I had to take that anyone else facing this issue may have to take. Here's what I did for archive purposes.

First Problem Solution
1: Booted using a live USB.
2: Mounted my root partition to mnt

mount /dev/sda2/ /mnt 

3: Updated all my packages

pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -Syyu

4: No errors arose so I rebooted

This is were is went a little haywire. After grub initialised and tried to pass control over to the kernel, I got the following error:

Warning: /lib/modules/4.10.11-1-ARCH/modules.devname not found
ERROR: device UUID=foo-bar-123 not found skipping fsck

Attempted (But failed) fixes
- Remake grub config
- Reinstall grub

None of them worked.

Second Problem Solution
Spent time googling and eventually did this:
1: Boot into the live USB again
2: Mount the root partition (see above)
3: Update the kernel config

mkinitcpio -p linux

System now boots fine. Need to test if there are any issues, but it seems to be working.

If anyone with more technical capability could quote and explain, that would be great. Don't want people following steps blindly.

Thanks again guys!

Sources

https://blog.justonepixel.com/geek/2016 … nel-update
Original Link from 2ManyDog https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … an_upgrade

Edit
There are issues with some application, notably Eclipse JEE which won't let me ctl + left arrow and  ctl + right arrow properly. It will also close the application after using it a short while. I've done reinstalls,fresh installs, and config changes and it still does not work. I'm assuming there will be other hidden issues that I am unaware of (unless this is a problem with the Eclipse update itself)

This problem is outside the scope of this post and here to highlight there MAY be further issues after the fix.

Edit 2
Turns out the fix is completely fine. It was a separate issue with Eclipse and GTK that I had fixed before but had forgotten about. The solution provided is completely viable.

Last edited by ThePatientOne (2017-04-28 07:32:59)

Board footer