You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-13 17:44:14

MillTek

Problem with nvidia-utils and libz.so.1

Hi,

I just re-installed latest Arch on my system. While starting to load my Wm (E17) etc. I ran a pacman -Suy. It wanted to upgrade my nvidia driver but nvidia-utils was causing a conflict. So I tried pacman -R nvidia-utils and the system crashed with a 'bus error'.  Since then I have had to copy /usr/lib/libz.so.1 from another partition because it keeps saying that it's too short. Also, I get a lot of spurious displays about nvidia. My pacman sessions don't work now and when I tried a pacman -S zlib (replace the damaged libz.so.1) I get another bus error.

Is there a cure for this mess or should I just re-load??

Jim

#2 2006-06-13 17:53:15

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Problem with nvidia-utils and libz.so.1

Try to use  pacman.static

If it doesn't work, uncompress the zlib package in the / directory. Then do a 'pacman -Sf zlib' to install it correctely.

#3 2006-06-13 19:08:24

Lone_Wolf

Re: Problem with nvidia-utils and libz.so.1

MillTek wrote:

Hi,

I just re-installed latest Arch on my system. While starting to load my Wm (E17) etc. I ran a pacman -Suy. It wanted to upgrade my nvidia driver but nvidia-utils was causing a conflict. So I tried pacman -R nvidia-utils and the system crashed with a 'bus error'.  Since then I have had to copy /usr/lib/libz.so.1 from another partition because it keeps saying that it's too short. Also, I get a lot of spurious displays about nvidia. My pacman sessions don't work now and when I tried a pacman -S zlib (replace the damaged libz.so.1) I get another bus error.

Is there a cure for this mess or should I just re-load??

Jim

Nvidia (or ATI or any graphic x11 drivers ) , Xorg, your WM, your DE all work  together.
Only update such packages while X11 is NOT running (console) .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer