You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-30 10:06:23

socialloser1

[Solved]some application don't read input from xinput in Gnome desktop

hello guys , I'm using Gnome desktop but have some problem with "input device remappings".

I use the " xinput set-button-map " command to remap my trackball buttons and use antimicro to map a gamepad to keyboard input. while most gui applications such like firefox works well ,  some terminal emulators seems to ignore both of them. in my test, xterm, urxvt works well , while gnome-terminal, terminator not work. they just seems to read input directly from device because my trackball buttons generate the originally input instead of remapped ones.

I'm a newbee so I'm not familiar with the linux input mechanism, anyone can help with how to solve this problem ?

Last edited by socialloser1 (2017-05-06 01:25:49)

#2 2017-04-30 10:23:41

LaurentvdB

Re: [Solved]some application don't read input from xinput in Gnome desktop

Hi,

Could it be that you use the wayland session of Gnome? If yes, only the application running in XWayland respect the changes you make (e.g. firefox, xterm, etc) but things working directly in Wayland don't (e.g. gnome-terminal). If this is the case, you can simply change your session to Gnome on X.

Edit: Oh, the environment variable $XDG_SESSION_TYPE tells you whether you are in X or Wayland.

Last edited by LaurentvdB (2017-04-30 10:25:07)

#3 2017-04-30 11:03:44

socialloser1

LaurentvdB wrote:

Hi,

Could it be that you use the wayland session of Gnome? If yes, only the application running in XWayland respect the changes you make (e.g. firefox, xterm, etc) but things working directly in Wayland don't (e.g. gnome-terminal). If this is the case, you can simply change your session to Gnome on X.

Edit: Oh, the environment variable $XDG_SESSION_TYPE tells you whether you are in X or Wayland.

yes, you're right,  the value of $XDG_SESSION_TYPE  is wayland.

I switched the option on login screen to 'Gnome on xorg' , now the value is 'x11' and everything works fine now. thanks !

#4 2017-04-30 13:25:12

seth

Please always rememeber to mark thread as [SOLVED] by editing your first post, as soon as you consider it to be.

Board footer