You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-02 05:17:43

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

Steam interface in Wine is awfully slow

Did a fresh install of Wine, fresh Wine prefix, installed Steam with the official installer. Everything seemed to work fine and Steam downloaded updates and started up.

But as soon as the login dialog pops up it slows to a crawl. There is at least a 15 second delay following every mouse click and key stroke I input (sometimes much longer). It is nearly unusable. If I suffer through the delays and actually run a game, the game runs just fine. It's only the Steam interface that is problematic.

Steam through Wine also works just fine on my laptop. It's only problematic on my desktop though I'm not sure why. The big difference is my desktop has a dedicated GPU with the Nvidia driver while my laptop has integrated Intel graphics. I do see some Wine errors saying "Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead." but if that's the only fix then that's a deal breaker for me since I need good 3D performance.

Any ideas?

Edit: also asked for help on the Wine forums https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28811

Last edited by silverhammermba (2017-05-04 17:04:09)

Board footer