You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-02 22:22:23

proft
Member
From: UA
Registered: 2017-05-02
Posts: 4
Website

[SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Hello!

I have updated freetype2 from 2.6 to 2.7.1 and in Chromium fonts become blurred.

Bellow you can see opened chromium 58.0.3029.81-4 and firefox 53.0-2 (on the right side, you can see that fonts are more crispy).

https://s27.postimg.org/6fq4i59hf/cvsf.png

Problem exists in Atom and skypeforlinux-bin too.

My ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf is https://pastebin.com/1NDmxymu

Output of xrdb -q

Xft.autohint:	0
Xft.lcdfilter:	lcddefault
Xft.antialias:	1
Xft.hinting:	1
Xft.hintstyle:	hintfull
Xft.rgba:	none
Xft.dpi:	96
Xcursor.theme:	Human
Xcursor.size:	0
Xcursor.theme_core:	1

Installed

fontconfig-ubuntu 2.11.94-2
lib32-fontconfig 2.12.1-4
freetype2-old-hinting 2.7.1-1
lib32-freetype2 2.7.1-1

My /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh

export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35"

Strange that there are a little information about this issue and all advices don't solve it.

Last edited by proft (2017-05-03 11:34:07)

Offline

#2 2017-05-02 22:26:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 21,777
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2017-05-03 01:03:54

Ropid
Member
Registered: 2015-03-09
Posts: 337

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

This doesn't happen here for me. Things are fine with the newest freetype version.

Try starting Chromium from a terminal window. It might print interesting messages to the terminal, perhaps about not understanding something in one of your system's fontconfig config files.

About your screenshot, there are some webpages where I know Google Chrome will disable LCD sub-pixel AA when rendering the text for seemingly no reason. I don't know what's going on there, but I think this shouldn't happen on a simple webpage like the archlinux.org page. Besides the LCD sub-pixel stuff, it seems it doesn't use the same font in both programs in your screenshot, or your Chrome/Chromium doesn't respect that "hinting = full" setting in your fontconfig.

Last edited by Ropid (2017-05-03 01:05:59)

Offline

#4 2017-05-03 02:24:53

0strodamus
Member
Registered: 2014-01-22
Posts: 90

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Did you see this thread?


archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

Nihil Verum Nisi Mors

Offline

#5 2017-05-03 06:21:20

proft
Member
From: UA
Registered: 2017-05-02
Posts: 4
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Ropid wrote:

This doesn't happen here for me. Things are fine with the newest freetype version.

Try starting Chromium from a terminal window. It might print interesting messages to the terminal, perhaps about not understanding something in one of your system's fontconfig config files.

In terminal nothing special for fonts. I even moved to chromium-snapshot-bin 60.0.3088.0.r468781-1, but still blurred fonts.
Could you make screenshot of archlinux.org in chrome/firefox, please? Thanks.

0strodamus wrote:

Did you see this thread?

Yes. I've read about 20 search pages ... but didn't find solution.
I tried all advices from that page, but still blurred.

Offline

#6 2017-05-03 09:42:15

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,519

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

proft wrote:

Yes. I've read about 20 search pages ... but didn't find solution.

That's because there isn't any. Chromium runs in a sandbox, clearing environment variables is part of that, so there is no FREETYPE_PROPERTIES variable in the sandboxed world Chromium runs in.

The only workaround is to compile freetype2 yourself, with hacked code that makes interpreter version 35 the default. Or you convince Google that Chromium should pick up the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES variable somehow.

Offline

#7 2017-05-03 10:57:46

proft
Member
From: UA
Registered: 2017-05-02
Posts: 4
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Gusar wrote:
proft wrote:

Yes. I've read about 20 search pages ... but didn't find solution.

That's because there isn't any. Chromium runs in a sandbox, clearing environment variables is part of that, so there is no FREETYPE_PROPERTIES variable in the sandboxed world Chromium runs in.

The only workaround is to compile freetype2 yourself, with hacked code that makes interpreter version 35 the default. Or you convince Google that Chromium should pick up the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES variable somehow.

I've installed version 60 of Chromium and it react to --no-sandbox. In chrome://sandbox/ I can see Sandbox - NO but it can't see FREETYPE_PROPERTIES variable anyway smile.

May be you know, does AUR have package with hacked code? or someone made a PKGBUILD?

Offline

#8 2017-05-03 11:05:58

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,519

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

proft wrote:

May be you know, does AUR have package with hacked code? or someone made a PKGBUILD?

Haven't tried it yet, but this looks promising: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-v35

Offline

#9 2017-05-03 11:32:54

proft
Member
From: UA
Registered: 2017-05-02
Posts: 4
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

Gusar wrote:
proft wrote:

May be you know, does AUR have package with hacked code? or someone made a PKGBUILD?

Haven't tried it yet, but this looks promising: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-v35

I've installed it and my eyes happy again!!! smile
Fonts in Chromium, Atom, Skype are crispy again!
Thank you very much!

Offline

#10 2017-05-03 13:46:54

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 2,207

Re: [SOLVED] Blurred fonts in Chromium after update to freetype2 2.7.1

tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$PID/environ

replace $PID with the actual chromium PID, but you should actually also test anything else, notably your session shell, on whether the FT environment is set/picked up or there's maybe a deeper problem w/ the way you're launching the session.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB