You are not logged in.

#501 2017-04-21 07:16:57

The Compiler
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

The QtWebEngine selection issue was already fixed with this change, which is part of Qt 5.9.

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#502 2017-04-21 11:06:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for the update.  I noticed that yesterday.  As I don't find building a rendering engine to be a fun experience, I'll wait for this to be released and packaged.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#503 2017-04-26 07:16:08

nfisher.sr

First off a big thanks for this browser, as dwb was one of the things I loved most about arch before it started becoming unusable. But even though this is the best browser in existence right now I miss a couple features from dwb. I remember being able to save search boxes as shortcuts, so by typing

:gg somesearch

I could do a quick google search. I had quite a few of them saved, such as aur for (drumroll) searching the aur or af for arch forum. Other than that missed feature I'm loving how much at home I feel using this browser.

#504 2017-04-26 07:23:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

There is a [searchengines] section in the config file which includes documentation and examples.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#505 2017-04-26 07:41:27

nfisher.sr

Thanks for that. Should have read the config file.

#506 2017-04-27 10:20:59

buttcake

I locked down qutebrowser completly with firejail.
Is there any way I can stop qutebrowser from opening the web help page when a completly new instance starts ?

#507 2017-04-27 10:25:27

The Compiler
Website

buttcake wrote:

Is there any way I can stop qutebrowser from opening the web help page when a completly new instance starts ?

By allowing it to read/write ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/state - it's probably a good idea to allow ~/.cache/qutebrowser, ~/.local/share/qutebrowser and ~/.config/qutebrowser in general.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#508 2017-04-27 20:10:07

buttcake

Ohh I see. Thank you.

#509 2017-04-29 16:16:39

Hund
Website

buttcake wrote:

How did you solve the issue with the external editor when running qutebrowser in a jail with Firejail?

#510 2017-04-29 21:40:17

buttcake

Hund wrote:

How did you solve the issue with the external editor when running qutebrowser in a jail with Firejail?

I do not use that feature.I'll try to look into it but the author will probably respond on github before me.

#511 2017-05-08 15:15:54

buttcake

Is there a way I can block media from being displayed based on file types ? Or maybe I can do something with firejail to stop html videos from showing up ?

#512 2017-05-08 16:13:24

The Compiler
Website

buttcake wrote:

Is there a way I can block media from being displayed based on file types ? Or maybe I can do something with firejail to stop html videos from showing up ?

With the new config I also plan to add options to allow/block various kinds of downloads with QtWebEngine. That should also make it possible to block media resources. I don't think something similar exists with QtWebKit though.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#513 2017-05-15 04:17:05

tedbell

This is my main browser. Thanks for this.
Is there a way to override fonts in webengine? I can do it in "legacy" mode.

#514 2017-05-15 04:28:56

The Compiler
Website

tedbell wrote:

Using ui -> user-stylesheet you mean? Doing the same should help with QtWebEngine too, but the user stylesheet doesn't have precedence over the website's one. As far as I know, I can't change that until this Qt change gets in.

Last edited by The Compiler (2017-05-15 04:29:12)

File "<stdin>", line 1

#515 2017-05-15 10:44:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FWIW, my fonts in my user-stylesheet are applied in webengine.  I don't normally change the font, but I just tried adding a `* { font-family: cursive; }` and then changing it to `* { font-family: monospace; }` as those would be obvious changes.  This affected the font on all the webpages I tried including my own where I know specific fonts are specified in the webpage.  I suspect if the the webpage's css uses `!important` for it's setting it may take precidence - I didn't test this.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#516 2017-05-19 05:14:49

tedbell

The Compiler wrote:
tedbell wrote:

Using ui -> user-stylesheet you mean? Doing the same should help with QtWebEngine too, but the user stylesheet doesn't have precedence over the website's one. As far as I know, I can't change that until this Qt change gets in.

Thanks for the info!

FWIW, my fonts in my user-stylesheet are applied in webengine.  I don't normally change the font, but I just tried adding a `* { font-family: cursive; }` and then changing it to `* { font-family: monospace; }` as those would be obvious changes.  This affected the font on all the webpages I tried including my own where I know specific fonts are specified in the webpage.  I suspect if the the webpage's css uses `!important` for it's setting it may take precidence - I didn't test this.

It's not working for me. I made a style.css under ~/.config/qutebrowser with the following contents:

* { font-family: 'Misc Fixed' !important; }

I seem to have font override in default mode and when I use qt5-webkit-ng, my pages render properly like webengine unlike qt5-webkit. But webengine still uses its own font for all sites.

EDIT: [SOLVED] webengine doesn't work with bitmap fonts so I changed it to Monospace and it works. There's just a delay for the font to load. Thanks guys!

Last edited by tedbell (2017-05-19 05:19:25)

#517 2017-06-29 07:47:07

null

When I visit stackoverflow it took two instand hits on "H"/back to get back to the previous page until recently. Now I have to hammer "H"/back about 5-7 times or I'll just be redirected to stackoverflow again. This seems to be some kind of configuration problem, because I've no problem with a new qutebrowser config folder. All the other stackexchange sites work as expected. Anyone any idea what this could be? Here's my qutebrowser.conf:
http://paste.debian.net/973847/

#518 2017-06-29 13:51:02

The Compiler
Website

null wrote:

When I visit stackoverflow it took two instand hits on "H"/back to get back to the previous page until recently. Now I have to hammer "H"/back about 5-7 times or I'll just be redirected to stackoverflow again. This seems to be some kind of configuration problem, because I've no problem with a new qutebrowser config folder. All the other stackexchange sites work as expected. Anyone any idea what this could be? Here's my qutebrowser.conf:
http://paste.debian.net/973847/

Are you sure it's actually the config file, and not something in ~/.local/share/qutebrowser or ~/.cache/qutebrowser?

What backend are you using?

Can you do :report when it happens?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#519 2017-06-29 17:02:17

null

I was sure because moving ~/.config/qutebrowser was fixing the problem. But I've tried to move just ~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf to verify but to no success. I've closed qutebrowser, moved/deleted ~/.config/qutebrowser,  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser and ~/.cache/qutebrowser and started it again with the same result. I've send you an bugreport from the clean start.

#520 2017-06-29 17:46:39

The Compiler
Website

null wrote:

I was sure because moving ~/.config/qutebrowser was fixing the problem. But I've tried to move just ~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf to verify but to no success. I've closed qutebrowser, moved/deleted ~/.config/qutebrowser,  ~/.local/share/qutebrowser and ~/.cache/qutebrowser and started it again with the same result. I've send you an bugreport from the clean start.

Do you block hosts in your /etc/hosts file? If so, can you check whether it makes a difference when you don't, and whether you can see the same behavior with another QtWebKit based browser such as Otter Browser?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#521 2017-06-29 17:59:33

null

Damn. Yes. I'm using hostsblock + dnsmasq as adblock solution. Using the nameserver directly fixed that. Thank you! And sorry for the noise.

Is this a known QtWebKit problem? I had no problems with Firefox or Chromium.

#522 2017-06-29 20:13:23

The Compiler
Website

null wrote:

Damn. Yes. I'm using hostsblock + dnsmasq as adblock solution. Using the nameserver directly fixed that. Thank you! And sorry for the noise.

Is this a known QtWebKit problem? I had no problems with Firefox or Chromium.

I remember someone having the same issues some 2 years ago or so. I'd guess it's a QtWebKit issue indeed.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#523 2017-06-29 21:58:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Null, do you have any reason to not use webengine and still use webkit?  In my experience webengine is the far more stable/reliable option now.

#524 2017-06-30 06:46:19

null

Mainly because it's still marked as experimental in the qutebrowser help page. But I'll give it a try smile

Last edited by null (2017-06-30 07:16:50)

#525 2017-06-30 08:46:42

The Compiler
Website

Now it's not anymore big_smile

It'll be the default in the v1.0 release which will come with some other big changes (new config system, new sqlite-based completion) somewhen later this year. Other than caret navigation and a few annoyances (like hints not working in frames), it's pretty much feature-complete now.

File "<stdin>", line 1

Board footer