You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-24 02:32:21

Frefreak

[Solved] Konsole can not display bold font after adding a GPU

Recently I add a new GPU (GTX 1060) to my desktop which originally only has a intel integrated graphics card. After booting up I immediately noticed that all the boldface font in Konsole became regular. I tried several programs (ls, echo with ansi code, nvim...) and all the bold font disappeared. However this only happens to Engligh letters and CJK fonts behave correctly. I tried several monospace fonts already (Fantasque Sans Mono, Droid, Fira...) and none of them works. But gnome-terminal and xterm seems to display bold font correctly.   

Things I have tried:

• from my understanding xorg auto detect gpu because of 10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf accompanied by nvidia-settings, and I only want to use this new GPU to run cuda computations (deep learning related). So I delete that file and now nvidia-smi doesn't show xorg process anymore (for me I need to enable enable intel multiple display in BIOS first). But having that file or not make no difference to the konsole issue.

• disable Draw intense colors in bold font and enable it again. Not work

• manually set font style as bold and it display bold fonts.

I really don't know how to track and find the cause of this. And FYI I installed nvidia, nvidia-settings before I physically installed the GPU and didn't remember seeing the font change. So it seems its only after I actually add the card that the issue arises.

Last edited by Frefreak (2017-04-24 11:55:58)

#2 2017-04-24 11:55:19

Frefreak

Re: [Solved] Konsole can not display bold font after adding a GPU

Finally I found the cause from these two threads:
Font bug with both KDevelop and Kate
Bold fonts not working for many fixed-width fonts in linux

It's the exact same issue as mine.
In short, for recent KDE, setting font as Regular adds a "Regular" string after the font config line which causes the problem. I did modify the fonts in system settings->font after I installed the GPU...

Last edited by Frefreak (2017-04-24 11:59:31)

#3 2017-05-10 15:35:19

kokoko3k

Re: [Solved] Konsole can not display bold font after adding a GPU

Just faced the same issue.
I've had to delete All the ",Regular" strings in my .config/kdeglobals for konsole (and kate, and kwriterc) to display bold again, even if my .config/kateschemarc did not contain any "Regular" font setting.
Kde devs only knows how that was related.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Board footer