You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-09 20:05:39

mwarner

Gnome HIDPI auto-detection/scaling

I'm having some trouble getting gnome/wayland to scale my displays correctly. Gnome does not set scaling factor to 2 for my 4k monitor, tested with both graphics cards, on both hdmi and DP, as well as with just the 4k monitor plugged in. I can manually set the scaling factor to 2 however this applies across all monitors so anything on my 1080p display is huge.

Setup:
Nvidia GTX 970 (also tested with onboard intel skylake graphics)
28" 4K Asus PB287Q Monitor
27" 1080P Monitor

The expected outcome is that the 4k monitor gets a scaling factor of 2, and the 1080p monitor set at 1. When tested with a retina MBP gnome correctly sets the scaling for the Retina display at 2 and leaves it at 1 for an external 1080p monitor. I'd like to do this for my desktop. Is there a way of manually specifying a scaling factor per display or getting gnome to correctly auto detect  my display as a hidpi device?

#2 2017-05-10 21:02:44

blowfish711

Re: Gnome HIDPI auto-detection/scaling

Bumping this because I have the exact same issue, except with a Lenovo T450s (Intel integrated graphics) plugged into a 4K Dell monitor.

Personally, I don't even mind if I have to manually set the display scaling for each monitor -- I would just love to know how that's done!

Also, a loosely related issue is that, when setting the display scaling factor manually (via "gsettings set org.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2" and "HiDPI - Window Scaling" to 2 in the Gnome Tweak Tool), I have to log out and log back into Gnome to make all the changes take effect. This is a bit annoying -- it would be nice to toggle HiDPI without logging out.

#3 2017-05-10 21:12:13

blowfish711

Re: Gnome HIDPI auto-detection/scaling

Here's one potential solution, inspired by https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=219242: Try reverting the HiDPI-related settings to their original values, via:

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
gsettings reset org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides

Board footer