You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-11 12:19:24

Dekakaruk

Noise from headphones

# Sorry for bad english

I've just bought new headphones. They work perfectly with my phone, but whenever I plug them into my computer (by mini-jack, to Dell Latitude 3450 + Arch Linux) there appear two noises:
1. A white noise starts along with X-server (Xfce, pulse audio). I checked some threads, tried to disable everything that looks like a microphone (I don't have one, but probably there is some built-in), even to blacklist some module (snd_hda_codec_realtek), but to no avail. The problem appears also on a Windows 10 (the same machine), but it seems software in nature.
2. If the laptop is connected to a power network, there starts a low, electrical noise (I don't know how to describe sounds, I hope it doesn't matter). It does not depend on computer being turned on, so maybe it's a bad place to ask, but I don't know where I should.

Another headphones doesn't have the problem. I don't know what I should do, any help is appreciated.

#2 2017-05-11 12:51:45

mich41

Re: Noise from headphones

Dekakaruk wrote:

2. If the laptop is connected to a power network, there starts a low, electrical noise (I don't know how to describe sounds, I hope it doesn't matter). It does not depend on computer being turned on

If it's present during power off it must be some electric noise getting into analog output, probably through ground, impossible to eliminate without hardware modding.

Dekakaruk wrote:

1. A white noise starts along with X-server (Xfce, pulse audio). I checked some threads, tried to disable everything that looks like a microphone (I don't have one, but probably there is some built-in), even to blacklist some module (snd_hda_codec_realtek), but to no avail. The problem appears also on a Windows 10 (the same machine), but it seems software in nature.

This is likely related to the above and caused by ground noise again. Probably goes away if you load all CPU cores 100% or disable CPU power saving (C-states).

As for mixer settings, just mute everything and only enable things you need to get sound out.

Last edited by mich41 (2017-05-11 12:53:44)

Board footer