You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-11 22:38:37

Storm
Website

Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error

After upgrading last week, wine-staging started crashing throwing warnings about GTK theme parsing errors. I disabled teh experimental Gnome theming and that solved it.

The LastPass addon for Firefox constantly bugs too, which is likely not related, but started with the same update.

After updating today, now cairo-dock also constantly crashes with the same kinds of warnings.

I also have Firefox crashes (no console output yet, I'll post if I get one) now, which may be related.

[storm@Camelot] (~) $ cairo-dock -A

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:24:35: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:117:22: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2093:15: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3422:22: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3426:22: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3605:22: '' is not a valid color name

(cairo-dock:4890): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3616:24: '' is not a valid color name

I gather there is incorrect CSS somewhere, but why now and not before, and why does this crash programs when it supposed to be only a warning?

I searched this and found similar problems for lots of people from the past, but the only solution I ever found about it was "I upgraded now and it's fixed".

Any ideas?

P.s.: cairo-dock BTW is flagged out of date since January.............. hmm

"Sic itur ad astra per aspera."

#2 2017-05-11 22:42:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error

Try changing your theme...

Moving to NC.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-05-12 19:06:15

Storm
Website

But why I did not have this issue before with the same theme?

#4 2017-05-12 19:11:53

Storm
Website

I created a new thread for the Cairo Dock crash as it seems to be unrelated to the theme issues.

#5 2017-05-13 07:41:50

seth

Storm wrote:

But why I did not have this issue before with the same theme?

Because gtk breaks theming with every what so minor update.
The web is full of complaints about that.

The application crashes are however not necessarily related to that at all. Typically you're applications just end up being a flat light gray on white mess ;-)

#6 2017-05-14 16:53:34

Storm
Website

seth wrote:

Typically you're applications just end up being a flat light gray on white mess ;-)

I see, thank you! I guess I just noticed the theme warnings now because I had no reason to look when programs didn't crash.

Does anyone by chance know if there is a way to convert a Plasma 5 color theme into a GTK 2/3 one? I use a custom them and it is very important* I have the same exact colors everywhere. Last time I did it manually by replacing colors in a copy of the theme installed by breeze-dark-gtk by guessing really, which took me hours and was a huge pain in the ass. hmm

* I'm an artist, it is extremely important I see proper colors on the screen. It's calibrated, but I discovered that constantly starting at the Breeze Dark UI where everything is slightly tinted blue tricks my eyes and because of the relativity of color temperature/white point I'll see other colors warmer than they truly are. My solution was creating a temperature-neutral color theme based on Breeze Dark but containing only grays, no color tinting. Now I need to get the same colors on my GTK apps... hmm

Board footer