You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-11 11:36:32

merloki

[SOLVED] black screen after update

After an update Arch doesn't go to the login screen anymore, I can only go to the console by pressing f.e. Ctrl+Alt+F3

I was using openbox + slim as the login manager and I read that slim isn't maintained anymore.

So I disabled slim and enabled gdm but it didn't work. I disabled gdm and enabled sddm and also a black screen.

The graphics card is an Optimus Geforce GT 425M so I followed these instructions 

This is my xorg.conf file  The file is located in /etc/X11 and there is no nvidia file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

And I have an empty xorg.conf.nvidia-xconfig-original file in /etc/X11

I tried half a day to get it working, doing the things that fixed similar issues in Arch Linux topics, it didn't change anything.

Then I waited 4 weeks and updated all packages, but the issue is still unfixed.

Here is my complete journald log  and here are my xorg logs: Xorg.0.log  Xorg.1.log  Xorg.2.log 

Is there an expert here who can find the most critical issues in these logs?

Any useful help will be appreciated.

Last edited by merloki (2017-05-12 20:35:15)

#2 2017-05-11 11:56:12

hcjl

Re: [SOLVED] black screen after update

You should post your Xorg.0.log as well.

#3 2017-05-11 13:30:37

merloki

hcjl wrote:

You should post your Xorg.0.log as well.

I included them in the op, thank you for the advice.

#4 2017-05-12 20:34:41

merloki

I solved the issue 1) by removing some things in the blacklist file or 2) by deleting xorg.conf

The screen worked again and it was using the proprietary nvidia driver. Now I had tearing when I watched video's with mpv and I also had to set dpi to 96 in xresources because the dpi was weird.

Then I saw that I have a Wayland session option in sddm, so I tried it, and it solves the tearing on the nvidia card. It's the first time that I use Wayland and it's a good experience.

Board footer