You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-14 02:29:08

tymscar
Website

Qemu/KVM resets video ram to 256 when VM starts

Hello forum!

I managed to get a Windows 10 VM up and running inside virt-manager. I want to use this VM for Unity3D development as the one on Arch is not reliable enough at the moment.
The VM runs nicely now (after installing the graphics driver) except when doing anything 3D intensive in Unity. I checked the task manager and the CPU usage is at 99% when that happens.

To make sure that the Video Ram was not a problem I set it to 2048MB using "virsh edit". I set the "ram" and "vram" parameters to 8192 and "vgamem" to 2097152 inside the <video></video> tags. I want to mention that I use QXL and Display Spice for maximum performance. (One thing to add here: if i set the "ram" and "vram" parameters to 2097152 just like the "vgamem" the VM doesn't boot anymore)

After doing so, when I look at the "Video QXL" tab on my virtual machine inside virt-manager, I see 2048 MB ram. As soon as I start the VM that number drops to 256MB. When the VM is shut down, it changes back to 2048MB ram.

Why is virt-manager not booting my VM with 2048MB video ram?

Thank you so much in advance!

Passion driven programmer. Big fan of Hackathons! Hungry for knowledge about anything technical.

Board footer