You are not logged in.

#26 2017-03-23 05:28:33

seiichiro0185
Website

Re: 15 Macbook Pro (11,5) freezing periodically

dds wrote:

I have the same issue (general protection fault) on MacBook 11,5 with kernel 4.8.0-39 when I enable power saving features with Powertop.

Thanks for the hint with the powertop power saving. I disabled setting the powersave stuff with powertop on startup, and since then didn't have another freeze for almost 2 weeks now. Before disabling it I had a freeze at least every 2 days, often even multiple freezes per day. Since battery runtime didn't change noticably, and I use the Macbook at the office with AC power most of the time anyways, I'll leave it like that for now.

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#27 2017-05-18 13:43:51

captainju

So finally the kernel option that makes my system stable is…

systemd.log_level=debug

I had no freeze for weeks.
Isn't it weird?

#28 2017-08-25 22:13:48

sinisterstuf
Website

Same laptop, same problem here.

I can confirm it's not related to temperature because I've played games that made the laptop spin up to max and nothing bad happened. Similarly to someone else in this thread I've experienced it more often when streaming music, in my case not in browser but in cmus, but still. I have a hunch that it's not actually the music (or any multimedia) that causes it but rather the Wi-Fi. I might start to write down when exactly the laptop hangs because right now it still seems too random, and as several of you experienced with the logs, hard to pin down the cause, but so far it has basically always happened at work. I know that the Wi-Fi is sketchy on this machine because at home it would often disconnect frequently (there are other forum threads on that topic, I'm using the brcmfmac driver because any other driver doesn't give me a network device at all) while other devices on the network were fine. Since switching from linux to linux-macbook this is apparently now no longer a problem, but the laptop still hangs on the office Wi-Fi.

One thing I noticed is, if I uninstall the nvidia driver it doesn't hang. That obviously means no nvidia graphics acceleration for games and some apps that I'm not sure why they need it like Slack, but the laptop doesn't hang. Consistently. I think I remember reading on a Wiki page somewhere (can look for a link if needed) that nvidia and brcmfmac can have issues when used together and that's one more reason I'm suspicious of this.

@captainju @seiichiro0185 is this solved for you? It would be really good to somehow get to the cause of this almost mythical macbook hang and solve it.

"Give freely because you were given to freely"
I've got a blog if you're interested.

#29 2017-08-28 07:13:43

captainju

@sinisterstuf yes it is solved for me, but only with systemd.log_level=debug
No freeze for months.
I tried to remove it but it froze the same day, so I put it back.

#30 2017-08-28 07:20:21

seiichiro0185
Website

@sinisterstuf:

Yes, the problem seems to be solved for me, since I switched off powersaving stuff (I was loading the recommended settings with powertop before) I didn't have a single freeze. I didn't try to switch powersaving back on again, but since this Is my work machine (I can't afford too much downtime) and its more or less stationary and with AC-Power the whole time anyways it doesn't bother me that the powersaving is off. It didn't make any really noticable difference anyway.

Last edited by seiichiro0185 (2017-08-28 07:21:05)

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

Board footer