You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-19 02:42:31

apastuszak
Website

Reddit Enhancement Suite Firefox Plugin and Arch Linux

A new version of the Firefox plugin Reddit Enhancement Suite was released and caused it to make the feature "never ending reddit" to display subreddits you are not subscribed to on page 2 and beyond.

One of the "fixes" proposed was to enable third party cookies for reddit.com, which is something I am unwilling to do.

Another proposed "solution" was to launch Firefox with the -p option, create a new profile and then switch back to the old profile, and RES seems to work fine.

This worked like a charm for me on my Windows PC, and various Linux users of inferior distributions such as Ubuntu and Fedora (kidding!) reported that this worked for them...

Well, it didn't work for me.  The Githib bug for the issue:

https://github.com/honestbleeps/Reddit- … -301666816

suggested that there may be an Arch specific issue going on here, since other distros (at least Ubuntu and Fedora) seem to be OK.

Another Arch user added to the bug that the profile workaround did not work for them either.

Though 2 users are not all Arch users, I figured it was worth posting here to find out if there is something unique about the way Arch packages Firefox vs other distros, to see if something can be done to fix this.  Firefox is my primary browser, and will stay so, until Gnome Web adds plugin support.

If anyone has anything they think might be useful with this issue, I'm willing to experiment.

#2 2017-05-19 13:27:51

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Reddit Enhancement Suite Firefox Plugin and Arch Linux

A workaround that may help :

Install the Self Destructing Cookies Addon and set 3rd party cookies to always be accepted.

Basically that lets all sites set whatever cookies they want as long as you are visiting those sites.
Once you close the last tab for the site, SDC will remove all cookies it used.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-05-19 13:40:43

apastuszak
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

A workaround that may help :

Install the Self Destructing Cookies Addon and set 3rd party cookies to always be accepted.

Basically that lets all sites set whatever cookies they want as long as you are visiting those sites.
Once you close the last tab for the site, SDC will remove all cookies it used.

That is an excellent idea!  Thank you for that tip!

I did some more research on this and it looks like the bug may lie with with the new web extensions implementation in Firefox.

#4 2017-05-19 21:02:01

apastuszak
Website

It looks like this is not going to work as expected.  I can't find a way to self-destruct only 3rd party cookies.  It seems to be an all or nothing deal.  And if I add an exception for a site, it allows cookies from the site and all third party cookies from the site.

It is kind of blowing my mind right now how many Facebook I see being nuked.

Board footer