You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-22 11:46:18

mr.MikyMaus

[solved] Wine - mouse stops working after a while in fullscreen apps

Hi,

for solution see next post

after about 5-10 minutes into playing, mouse stops working in UT-based games, namely Deus Ex 1 (and Revision) and Clive Barker's Undying. Other games and applications with different engines work well (StarCraft BroodWar for instance, both 1.17 and the new OpenGL 1.18, Half Life 2, C&C RA2, AoEII, ...) in wine fullscreen applications.

Currently running Wine 2.8-staging but the problem was present in 2.8 as well.

So far I was unable to collect any useful logs.

By "mouse stops working" I mean there is no response from mouse at all, neither movement, nor any buttons. Switching to WM and back (i.e. ALT+TAB) fixes this temporarily. I've noticed this about 2 months ago in Deus Ex Revision but thought it was a game-specific problem as Revision uses heavily modified UE but when the same started happening with Undying, there were only two common denominators - Wine and Unreal Engine. (the reason I didn't notice this in other games and apps was that I was not using ALT key there - see next post)

What can I do to figure this out? I want to make sure it's not system-related before I take this upstream.

thanks,

-m.

Last edited by mr.MikyMaus (2017-06-05 13:20:37)

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#2 2017-06-05 13:17:46

mr.MikyMaus

Re: [solved] Wine - mouse stops working after a while in fullscreen apps

Blame xfwm and alt+click-and-drag to move a window. I had an action associated to the ALT key in both games and somehow it sometimes caused xfwm to "move" the fullscreen window which removed mouse focus from it without any visual clue.

KISS solution: don't use ALT in games.

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Board footer