You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 16:58:48

cmp

my little pet project - a scripting language

Well I'm kind of proud of this project, because it's only 700 loc, took only 2 afternoons to implement and is yet semi usefull. While you could not write an entire application in it and it's bugy as hell, the most important parts are there:

· import and usage of python modules
· blocks (kind of lambdas)
· scopes and variables

It is actually an experiment to test how far you can push a language with only infix operators, so there is no real function invocation but only infix operators (hence the name infix), to call a function you would apply it to a tuple:

do_sth % ( a , b , c )

And the tuple creating part "( a , b , c )" is not built into the language but rather using the tuple creation operator ",".

There are only 4 preused characters (){}. () are used to create some kind of precedenc in expression evaluation (everything else goes just from left to right) and {} are used to create blocks, which are just expression lists which run in a scope and return the result of the last expression in them.
Every function / variable name is freeformed and may use any non-whitespace-characters.

As I said it's a pure experiment, but still kind of fun:

__scope__ import io
( clone % __scope__ ) => my_scope
io . print => print

{ 
    print % a
    print % b
} => my_block

{ 
    2 => a
    "hello world" => b
} % my_scope

my_block % my_scope

output:

hello world

btw. note that the io module is real python module.

#2 2006-06-16 17:09:03

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: my little pet project - a scripting language

That looks like fun. Links? Using only infix operators is an interesting idea... kind of lispish without the brackets.

no... lispish without the brackets would be whitespace...

Dusty

#3 2006-06-16 17:25:36

Sigi

Hey! Thats plagiarism of Dustys "my little pet project"-post ;-)

cmp: Looks interesting, even if I don't have too much programing experience..

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#4 2006-06-17 20:04:35

cmp

Hm. My implementation has a big flaw. Because every reference is directly looked up and the value is returned, you can't probaly redefine allready defined variables:

2 => a
3 => a

does not work, because in the first time a reference is returned, because a isn't defined, the second time a was defined and it's value is directly returned, so it turns into (3 => 2).
I will rewrite the core tomorrow to return allways references, if I'm not too busy learning math.

btw.: If's and Loops are implemented now.

#5 2006-06-23 18:15:56

cmp

Well, that was such a stressfull week, studying physics sucks, but still I managed to do some work on this project:
I rewrote part of the core and allmost the complete builtin library, which is still very unorganized. I will now clean up the core to get it workable in less than 500 lines of code (currently 538).
I fixed the refrence problem, so now stuff like this is working:

__scope__ import io
( io . print ) => print

99 => n

(current in (1 .. (n + 1))) foreach {
    n - current + 1 => current
    str % current => cur_str

(current > 0) then {
        print % ( cur_str + " bottles of beer on the wall" )
    } else {
        print % "1 bottle of beer on the wall"
    }
}

edit:
so now it's scheme without parenthesis. the core is currently 433 lines of code and I also got a way to create lists, functions and infixes in infix itself. Next I have to think about rewriting as much as possible in infix itself, so I got only the minimal barebone coded in python.

Board footer