You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-19 19:28:07

NecoCarmello

arch with python as entire "userspace" (like android with dalvik)

would arch with python as the entire "userspace" (like android with dalvik) be practical?
i would remove pacman and use a python pkg man. (pip?)

could i have everything(desktop, calander, clock, file browser, etc.) All in python.(are there enough apps developed in python already to do this?)

#2 2017-05-23 16:19:26

TheChickenMan

Re: arch with python as entire "userspace" (like android with dalvik)

Even if this were possible you still couldn't "remove pacman". It would be necessary to update system packages like the kernel or python itself.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#3 2017-05-23 18:57:20

Rethil

Python depends on non-python stuff. You also have kernel, systemd, boot manager, fsck, your shell, coreutils, glibc and other stuff that needs updates, so pip won't suffice.

#4 2017-05-23 19:14:14

drcouzelis
Website

I would love love LOVE to replace everything I do in Bash with Python, but what always stops me is that I haven't found an easy way to access everything else on the system from Python. You know, like, in Bash, if I want to perform an rsync command I just type "rsync"...

#5 2017-05-23 22:59:17

Rethil

drcouzelis wrote:

I would love love LOVE to replace everything I do in Bash with Python, but what always stops me is that I haven't found an easy way to access everything else on the system from Python. You know, like, in Bash, if I want to perform an rsync command I just type "rsync"...

Try xonsh.

#6 2017-05-23 23:06:33

Ropid

A long time ago, there were "Lisp Machines". I think the whole desktop of those was all in Lisp. You are talking about something like this, right?

There's a programming language Smalltalk and the way I remember there were environments where everything you saw on the screen was part of Smalltalk. You could inspect the objects that were behind the tools you were seeing.

Another thing I remember was "Oberon". There was an implementation of it where you also had an environment like in Smalltalk where you could inspect all the stuff live.

These things didn't really take off, perhaps came too early. It was all a bit experimental. Perhaps performance of C was too good even if doing GUI programs in it is a lot harder than it was in Smalltalk etc., and then a while later there was C++ and Objective-C and good libraries.

Board footer