You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-08 03:10:45

kensai
Website

Gnome no file associations.

Ok, I didn't wanted to ask this but, since it is making me wonder here I go.
I had a well running arch install I reinstalled to have reiserfs as my file system and not ext3 and did the same things (I believe) and setted up gnome again and everything running fine. Now the problem is that with my first install the file associations were all set by themselves but now I click whatever screenshot or mp3 or anything else and it says no default action so I had to go to properties to setup the app i wanted to do the job. Now I want to know what may be causing this? I had it all working and automagically setting the default action what could I missed this time?
-Thanks

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#2 2005-09-01 18:12:58

paulicat

Re: Gnome no file associations.

Run update-desktop-database (try as root and user, can't remember which)

#3 2006-06-16 03:56:32

kensai
Website

paulicat wrote:

Run update-desktop-database (try as root and user, can't remember which)

Well I never so this reply and this happened to me again now, ant the update-desktop-database as root worked, I'm curious why this happens and what this command does?

#4 2006-06-16 06:10:38

JGC
Developer

update-desktop-database makes a database with MIME information from all files in /usr/share/applications, /opt/gnome/share/applications, etc. Three things that can break up this database:
- interrupting a run of it
- installing a package that has the database included, using -f to overwrite it
- filesystem corruption

#5 2006-06-16 18:27:50

kensai
Website

Thanks for the intel. wink

#6 2006-06-16 18:47:26

Gullible Jones

Hey, I got this exact same problem with Gnome on ReiserFS... Maybe there's something one of the install scripts doesn't like about that filesystem?

(No, I've no idea how that could happen... just see here.)

#7 2006-06-16 21:35:36

jaboua

Gullible Jones wrote:

Hey, I got this exact same problem with Gnome on ReiserFS... Maybe there's something one of the install scripts doesn't like about that filesystem?

I got gnome working fine on reiserfs - the only thing that gave me issues was alacarte (it couldn't add/modify anything anymore - just hide stuff IIRC)...

#8 2006-06-20 02:06:29

kensai
Website

jaboua wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:

I got gnome working fine on reiserfs - the only thing that gave me issues was alacarte (it couldn't add/modify anything anymore - just hide stuff IIRC)...

alacarte isn't available in repo yet. and if you compiled it yourself the you need to upgrade to the gnome-menus from testing it is patched to use alacarte. wink

Board footer