You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-24 18:05:10

Typhon

Not booting on 4.11.2

Hi, yesterday I upgraded Linux kernel package from 4.10.13-1 to 4.11.2-1, rebooted and my system was stuck with a black screen, just before the cryptsetup call to decrypt my system partition (boot partition is not encrypted). Ctrl+Alt+F2 did nothing. I used a Live CD, chroot and downgraded to 4.10.13 and then booted again without any problem, but when i upgrade and reboot the problem appears again (either on normal boot or in chroot).

When I use mkinitcpio in normal boot or in chroot after upgrade I get "'/lib/modules/4.10.13-1-ARCH' is not a valid kernel module directory". If I try "mkinitcpio -P" the images generate correctly but I can't boot on reboot.

Here's the output of the pacman upgrade. The rest of the packages of my system are updated, these three are the ones that give me trouble but I can't isolate them because of dependencies:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) linux-4.11.2-1  nvidia-381.22-2  virtualbox-host-modules-arch-5.1.22-3

Total Installed Size:  87.68 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.56 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                 [############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                                                                                               [############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                                                                                                    [############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking available disk space                                                                                            [############################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/3) upgrading linux                                                                                                          [############################################################################] 100%
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
(2/3) upgrading nvidia                                                                                                         [############################################################################] 100%
In order to use nvidia module, reboot the system.
(3/3) upgrading virtualbox-host-modules-arch                                                                                   [############################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Updating linux initcpios
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 4.11.2-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [encrypt]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]                                                                                                                                                                                   
==> Generating module dependencies                                                                                                                                                                                
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img                                                                                                                                            
==> Image generation successful                                                                                                                                                                                   
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'                                                                                                                                        
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect                                                                                                           
==> Starting build: 4.11.2-1-ARCH                                                                                                                                                                                 
  -> Running build hook: [base]                                                                                                                                                                                   
  -> Running build hook: [udev]                                                                                                                                                                                   
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]                                                                                                                                                                                
  -> Running build hook: [block]                                                                                                                                                                                  
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x                                                                                                                                                         
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx                                                                                                                                                        
  -> Running build hook: [encrypt]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

I've seen similar topics on the forum but I think, to my limited knowledge, that they are not exactly the same as my problem.

Any idea about what could I do in order to find and solve the problem?

Thanks!

#2 2017-05-24 18:18:51

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Not booting on 4.11.2

Make sure your boot directory is mounted before you regenerate your initramfs.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-05-24 18:23:05

Typhon

R00KIE wrote:

Make sure your boot directory is mounted before you regenerate your initramfs.

Yes, the boot partition is mounted on /boot, in both my normal boot and chroot, and I can see initramfs-linux.img and initramfs-linux-fallback get modified.

#4 2017-05-24 18:32:30

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

That "'/lib/modules/4.10.13-1-ARCH' is not a valid kernel module directory" is strange, did you manage to properly (without errors) regenerate the initramfs when you chrooted? Make sure you fully update your system, regenerate the initramfs images, remove 'quiet' from your kernel parameters line (if you have it) and try to boot again.

R00KIE

#5 2017-05-24 19:08:47

Typhon

R00KIE wrote:

That "'/lib/modules/4.10.13-1-ARCH' is not a valid kernel module directory" is strange, did you manage to properly (without errors) regenerate the initramfs when you chrooted? Make sure you fully update your system, regenerate the initramfs images, remove 'quiet' from your kernel parameters line (if you have it) and try to boot again.

Yes, I've done all these things. I've removed 'quiet' from my parameters which I indeed had and reproduced all the steps again. In order:

1) Normally boot on 4.10.13
2) Upgrade to 4.11.2 (and the other two packages, the rest are all updated) and get the output of the first post of the thread.
3) If i use "mkinitcpio" I get the error about the /lib/modules mentioned before. In /lib/modules I only got dirs for 4.11.2. If I use "mkinitcpio -P" initramfs generates correctly, with the same output as before. I check that the images at /boot get modified
4) Reboot and get stuck on a black screen with no messages and options, only a white dash.
5) Chroot. Use "mkinitcpio" and "mkinitcpio -P" with exactly the same outputs as step 3. If I try to update I get that all my packages are updated.
6) Reboot and same black screen.
7) Chroot again, downgrade to 4.10.13, reboot and normally boot on 4.10.13 (back to step 1).

#6 2017-05-24 19:52:20

seth

You get the error message because you're mkinitcpio'ing from a 4.10.13 kernel (assuming that's the kernel of the live-cd as well?), you've to pass the kernel version using "-k 4.11.2-ARCH"
Did you try to add the sd-encrypt hook to mkinitcpio.conf?

#7 2017-05-24 20:49:46

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Try passing acpi=off as an extra kernel parameter and see if the machine boots.

R00KIE

#8 2017-05-24 21:33:35

Typhon

seth wrote:

You get the error message because you're mkinitcpio'ing from a 4.10.13 kernel (assuming that's the kernel of the live-cd as well?), you've to pass the kernel version using "-k 4.11.2-ARCH"
Did you try to add the sd-encrypt hook to mkinitcpio.conf?

I didn't try using "-k" option, I thought it was similar to -P which specifies preset. About the hooks, I'm using "encrypt" instead of "sd-encrypt". I followed the guide on the Arch Wiki a few months ago, and right now I'm not so sure about the differences between both. I'll try both suggestions.

R00KIE wrote:

Try passing acpi=off as an extra kernel parameter and see if the machine boots.

That did the trick, now the system boots again and I'm on 4.11.2. A minor bothering consequence though is that now the computer doesn't shutdown by itself, it stays in a halted state till I manually press the power button. I'll search more about the issue tomorrow.

Thank you very much both of you.

#9 2017-05-24 21:36:31

seth

That has nothing to do with encryption (so you can spare that test), see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226520

Board footer