You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 01:22:08

DarkPath

Something amusing about the forums

You know, here's something I just noticed while looking at the main page of the forums:

Looking at the individual forums, the two with the highest number of posts are Newbie Corner and Desktop Environments. This is something I found very amusing after noting the descrption of Arch as "...an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)"  tongue

Not that it's a bad thing; I just think it's funny that after explicitly stating that Arch isn't built specifically for newbies and GUIs, that those are the two most prominent forums on the bbs. smile To be sure, I believe I've posted in both several times, heh.

#2 2006-06-16 01:38:37

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Something amusing about the forums

yeah but most of those threads are more newbie to Arch then newbie to linux.
I think we have a very compitant user core. You ought to read the Kubuntu/Ubuntu user forums.

#3 2006-06-16 03:56:15

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Further, most of the users don't need help so they don't post in the other forums. ;-)

#4 2006-06-16 04:30:43

benplaut

Penguin wrote:

I think we have a very compitant user core. You ought to read the Kubuntu/Ubuntu user forums.

you'd be suprised at the number of people on ubuntuforums who actually use other distros, and are just there for the community.

There's a pretty big gathering at #ubuntuforums, on freenode.

Don't be hatin'... you gotta start somewhere  wink

#5 2006-06-16 04:58:17

twiistedkaos

benplaut wrote:
Penguin wrote:

you'd be suprised at the number of people on ubuntuforums who actually use other distros, and are just there for the community.

There's a pretty big gathering at #ubuntuforums, on freenode.

Don't be hatin'... you gotta start somewhere  wink

Tried Ubuntu for like 1 week before turning to Arch, the community you speak of isn't that great. Very few question asked their are actually answered usefully. Mostly just people posting links to other threads that have nothing to do witht he problems that the person is having. Fedora forum was much better than Ubuntu's, atleaste at Fedora, questions were answered wink

#6 2006-06-16 06:04:17

McQueen

twiistedkaos wrote:

Tried Ubuntu for like 1 week before turning to Arch, the community you speak of isn't that great.

My experience was better there. I did see a lot of questions getting correctly answered, and it appeared to me to be a well modded community with a stable group of helpful and resourceful members. There were a lot of unanswered threads, but the volume there is just insane and a lot of those threads dealt with system specific issues that are extremely difficult to troubleshoot. However, I will knock it for having practically no developer participation.

/path/to/Truth

#7 2006-06-16 06:38:05

benplaut

McQueen wrote:

However, I will knock it for having practically no developer participation.

agreed!!
alot of 3rd party devs, though... the canonical employees hang out in #ubuntu-dev

#8 2006-06-16 10:33:41

profoX
Website

Arch and Ubuntu both have very competent users.

But it is also a fact that much of the ubuntu people are new to linux.

It just depends who tries to help you, if it is a newbie himself, he obviously will not give you all the best information, but atleast he's trying wink

I am an ubuntu (besides arch) user myself, and I like the community alot. There are more newbs, but thats okay. There are alot of very competent linux users using ubuntu too.

My point? It's all good.

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#9 2006-06-16 19:22:02

tlaloc

Although I don't use Ubuntu (currently), I still sneak back into their forums ...
I think they are both competent and friendly (two qualities which seem to rule out each other in many cases). And I think that Arch's community is similar ...
Not that nasty kind of a snakepit ...

#10 2006-06-16 20:52:28

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I shouldn't have included Ubuntu in my first post here -my experience was in Kubuntu forums so I assumed Ubuntu would be similar which was a wrong assumption...

#11 2006-06-16 22:54:28

DarkPath

Penguin wrote:

Ah, yes, I agree. I didn't mean to insinuate that Arch users are mostly newbies and such, but I found it interesting that those were the two most popular boards. wink

Board footer