You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-23 21:17:59

TyranT
Banned

pacaur not updating git packages

I ran "pacaur -Syu --devel --needed" to update my git packages, and it didn't work. I still had to manually do it using cower. Could someone tell me what I'm missing? I watched a YouTube video on how to update git packages and that's what it said to do.

Last edited by TyranT (2017-05-23 21:18:18)

#2 2017-05-23 22:04:40

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: pacaur not updating git packages

TyranT wrote:

I watched a YouTube video on how to update git packages and that's what it said to do.

...Seriously? The man page can't be that bad, can it?

"didn't work" is as useless as it gets. Describe the issue in detail, what packages, if they are even present in aur, etc.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#3 2017-05-23 22:36:43

TyranT
Banned

I read the man page, and didn't find anything useful. There is the "--rebuild" parameter, but that defeats the purpse of the "--needed" parameter. Here is my output after executing "pacaur -Syu --devel --needed".

[%] pacaur -Syu --devel --needed
[sudo] password for abc:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 testing is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community-testing is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib-testing is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 alucryd-multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: gtkmm: local (2.24.5+6+g85967ecc-1) is newer than extra (2.24.5-2)
warning: librsvg: local (2:2.41.0-1) is newer than extra (2:2.40.17-1)
warning: libtiff4: local (3.9.7-4) is newer than community (3.9.7-1)
warning: linux-api-headers: local (4.11.2-1) is newer than core (4.10.1-1)
 there is nothing to do
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
:: jade is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: js17 is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-atk-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-cairo-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-curl-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-freetype2-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-gdk-pixbuf2-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-ghostscript-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-glib2-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-harfbuzz-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-harfbuzz-icu-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-js17 is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-libnm-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-libnm-glib-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-libnm-glib46 is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-libspectre is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-openal-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-pango-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-poppler-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: lib32-poppler-glib-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: libtiff3 is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: libxfont2-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: openal-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: strigi is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: tcp_wrappers is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: xorg-server-utils is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: xorg-utils is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: resolving dependencies...
:: no results found for lib32-cairo-git (dependency tree: libdrm-git lib32-libdrm-git bcunit-cunit-compat)
:: no results found for lib32-curl-git (dependency tree: libdrm-git lib32-libdrm-git bcunit-cunit-compat)
:: no results found for lib32-freetype2-git (dependency tree: libdrm-git lib32-libdrm-git bcunit-cunit-compat)
:: no results found for libcl (dependency tree: imagemagick-git libcl)
:: no results found for openal-git (dependency tree: libdrm-git lib32-libdrm-git bcunit-cunit-compat)

#4 2017-05-23 22:42:55

Slithery
Administrator

Pacaur only works on packages that are in the AUR, I take it that you haven't uploaded all of your git packages to the AUR yet.

You could just run a simple bash for loop that cd's into all of your package directories and runs makepkg.

Or just upload your packages to the AUR so that pacaur works.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2017-05-23 23:49:39

TyranT
Banned

I have a bunch of packages that are in the AUR as well, most of those are just the ones I'm working on and going to upload soon. pacaur is still not updating and compiling my git packages that are indeed in the AUR.

As you can see from the output, it doesn't compile or generate any packages. At least one of them needs updated for sure. I ran makepkg on "harfbuzz-git", which is in the AUR, and installed the package, and it said "updating" instead of " reinstalling" like it does when there's been no new commits for a development package.

Last edited by TyranT (2017-05-24 01:25:56)

#6 2017-05-24 02:39:35

Scimmia
Fellow

What packages, exactly, do you think it should be updating that it's not?

#7 2017-05-24 07:46:52

Spyhawk

The dependency tree can't be solved, so the operation isn't going to proceed. Working as intended.

#8 2017-05-24 12:04:08

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

:: no results found for lib32-cairo-git (dependency tree: libdrm-git lib32-libdrm-git bcunit-cunit-compat)
Spyhawk wrote:

The dependency tree can't be solved, so the operation isn't going to proceed. Working as intended.

Technically that's correct, however libdrm-git / lib32-libdrm-git / bcunit-cunit-compat are all present in the AUR .

Whether this is a configuration problem, a pacaur problem or something entirely different is beyond my knowledge.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2017-05-24 12:04:34)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#9 2017-05-24 12:43:15

Spyhawk

The error is about the first package displayed (here, "lib32-cairo-git"). The rest of the message is an indication about the possible location of the failure of the dependency tree. It might not be always correct since that reconstructed info make some basic assumption like a consistent system and correct use of the AUR, but usually works relatively well.

Here, OP system isn't consistent (some installed repo packages are newer than those detected in repo), and with half packages uploaded or the others not I could only think of some of these uploaded AUR packages requiring other that aren't "ready" yet.

Edit: I probably should add that pacaur assumes correctly written PKGBUILDs. Having had a quick look at lib32-libdrm-git and seeing "Replaces":["lib32-libdrm"]" alongside conflicts and provides, I believe there are more than a few errors in the uploaded packages (see wiki). No wonder pacaur goes apeshit-crazy here.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2017-05-24 12:57:33)

#10 2017-05-24 17:13:12

TyranT
Banned

What I don't understand, is that pacaur claims its "skipping" all my packages that are not in the AUR, but still tries to update them anyway. "libdrm-git" and "lib32-libdrm-git" are some of the git packages I have installed. I have so many, that I would rather upload all my other AUR packages, then run "pacman -Qs git" and show you all them. I'm trying to use pacaur because I have now accumulated soooooo many git packages recently with the whole lib32 fiasco, that its a pain in the pooper to manually update with cower.

Another thing about those packages I'm trying to upload, I don't have "bcunit-cunit-compat" installed, but they still compile and run perfectly fine. I do have "bcunit" installed, but for git packages, you wouldn't think it would need a "compatibility" package since its the newest of the new. Its not like its a older version that would require a "compat" package. DFJKLGHLKDJGFHKJDGFLKJHDGKJHDG

If anything, the packages I have installed that aren't in the AUR yet are choking up pacaur. It seems to stop at five, so maybe its some sort of failsafe or something.

ANOTHER thing is I don't even have "libcl" installed. It seems that the "ocl-icd" package replaced it. That means an AUR package I have installed depends on the older name and they need to update there PKGBUILD. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what AUR package requires "libcl". WHAT A MESS L:KDJHF:LKJHDFLJHK:DFLJKH:

Last edited by TyranT (2017-05-24 17:39:08)

#11 2017-05-24 18:20:40

Spyhawk

TyranT wrote:

If anything, the packages I have installed that aren't in the AUR yet are choking up pacaur. It seems to stop at five, so maybe its some sort of failsafe or something.

No, packages not found in the AUR are completely ignored. But some installed AUR packages that are found in the AUR most probably require them as dependency. Or your inconsistent system wreaks havoc.
Also, there is no "failsafe", all errors found are printed and then the update process stops.

TyranT wrote:

WHAT A MESS L:KDJHF:LKJHDFLJHK:DFLJKH:

Indeed. Using a great number of git packages while you are not interested in the development of these packages themselves is never a good idea.

#12 2017-05-24 18:45:15

TyranT
Banned

Spyhawk wrote:

No, packages not found in the AUR are completely ignored. But some installed AUR packages that are found in the AUR most probably require them as dependency.

This doesn't make sense. Why would someone make an PKGBUILD with a dependency that's not in the AUR? It would be pointless. If it truly required that package and it's not in the AUR, it wouldn't compile in the first place, making the package useless. This can't be the reason.

Spyhawk wrote:

Indeed. Using a great number of git packages while you are not interested in the development of these packages themselves is never a good idea.

I'm very much "interested" in development builds of package, particularly ones that are out of date in the official repos. If I'm going to make a package because it's out of date in the repos, might as well make it a git version. I would even use the git version of X.Org if I wasn't limited by my propietary NVIDIA driver.

I play lots of games, so for example, "sdl2-hg" and "lib32-sdl2-hg" are packages that I find very "interesting". I chose Arch as my distro because it has the latest and greatest packages. If I didn't care about having the latest and greatest packages, I wouldn't use Arch or git packages. So for your information sir, I'm VERY "interested" in development packages.

#13 2017-05-24 19:04:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TyranT wrote:

I wouldn't have the slightest idea what AUR package requires "libcl". WHAT A MESS L:KDJHF:LKJHDFLJHK:DFLJKH:

TyranT wrote:

I'm VERY "interested" in development packages.

I think you missed the point.  You are interested in having someone hand you everything, but you don't seem interested in taking responsibility for your packages, learning, or understanding.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#14 2017-05-24 19:44:40

TyranT
Banned

Trilby wrote:

I think you missed the point.  You are interested in having someone hand you everything, but you don't seem interested in taking responsibility for your packages, learning, or understanding.

That at all didn't seem like what he was trying to say. I'm learning alot, especially from Lone_Wolf. I hope you're not assuming one of MY packages requires "libcl", that is not the case. If pacaur is skipping my AUR packages I haven't uploaded yet, why does it even mention them a second time after it says "resolving dependencies"? Shouldn't it forget about my packages at that point during the upgrade?

If I wanted to be handed everything, I wouldn't have taken the time to create almost 20 packages. Although, since I'm not the most experienced PKGBUILDer, I do ask some questions I can't find answers to using Google.

EDIT:

I found it was imagemagick-git that requires "libcl". That was kind of easy to figure out, but I'm just so worked up about about alot of things (lib32-ibus-git for lib32-sdl2-hg and lib32-libspectre giving me trouble). "lib32-ibus-git" is particularly a doozy. I'm just going to upload my packages to the AUR now and see if it gives me trouble still.

Last edited by TyranT (2017-05-24 20:48:07)

#15 2017-05-24 20:49:07

Spyhawk

TyranT wrote:
Spyhawk wrote:

No, packages not found in the AUR are completely ignored. But some installed AUR packages that are found in the AUR most probably require them as dependency.

This doesn't make sense. Why would someone make an PKGBUILD with a dependency that's not in the AUR? It would be pointless. If it truly required that package and it's not in the AUR, it wouldn't compile in the first place, making the package useless. This can't be the reason.

Yes, this does indeed happen as AUR packages are renamed, deleted, or merged over time.

Check your "pacman -Qmq" output and compare it with the list of the package that are ignored by pacaur: the difference between the two is the list of packages that are found in the AUR.

TyranT wrote:

I'm very much "interested" in development builds of package, particularly ones that are out of date in the official repos. If I'm going to make a package because it's out of date in the repos, might as well make it a git version. I would even use the git version of X.Org if I wasn't limited by my propietary NVIDIA driver.

I play lots of games, so for example, "sdl2-hg" and "lib32-sdl2-hg" are packages that I find very "interesting". I chose Arch as my distro because it has the latest and greatest packages. If I didn't care about having the latest and greatest packages, I wouldn't use Arch or git packages. So for your information sir, I'm VERY "interested" in development packages.

If your objective is playing games rather than spending time to debug these packages and report bugs upstream, you'd better only carefully handpick the one that are indeed useful to you (ie, lastest SDL2 might make sense if you are impacted by a bug that is present in the stable version, otherwise it's a bad idea).

#16 2017-05-24 21:29:21

TyranT
Banned

Spyhawk wrote:

Yes, this does indeed happen as AUR packages are renamed, deleted, or merged over time.

What I meant was, let's say someone added "lib32-cairo-git" to there depends. Why would anyone do that? They would have to manually edit the PKGBUILD and remove "-git" at the end so it would continue compiling since it's not in the AUR.

Skyhawk wrote:

Check your "pacman -Qmq" output and compare it with the list of the package that are ignored by pacaur: the difference between the two is the list of packages that are found in the AUR.

That command included my "lib32-cairo-git" package, among others, so that doesn't seem so, since it's not in the AUR.

All my packages influence how games are ran on the system. I do file bug reports on GitHub as well. For example I just filed two bugs for deadbeef, since I use the "deadbeef-git" package.

Last edited by TyranT (2017-05-24 21:31:03)

#17 2017-05-24 22:08:33

Spyhawk

You didn't even read my message correctly. I fully agree with Trilby, and since this thread is going nowhere, I'm out.

#18 2017-05-24 22:42:20

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

TryanT,

you have learned a lot in a short time.
I do think you should slow down a bit and reflect on what you learned and investigate some things deeper.

example 1 : 
Check differences between cunit and bcunit, also look for bug reports about them in arch bugtracker.
Try to understand what purpose bcunit-cunit-compact has.

Skyhawk wrote:

That command included my "lib32-cairo-git" package, among others, so that doesn't seem so, since it's not in the AUR.

Pacman --query --foreign (long version of -Qm) lists all packages on a system that are not present in repos listed in /etc/pacman.conf .
Many people equal not-in-repos with must-be-aur-packages .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#19 2017-05-26 04:46:06

TyranT
Banned

Spyhawk wrote:

You didn't even read my message correctly. I fully agree with Trilby, and since this thread is going nowhere, I'm out.

Your wording was a bit odd dude.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

you have learned a lot in a short time.
I do think you should slow down a bit and reflect on what you learned and investigate some things deeper.

For sure, I'm currently fixing up colord-git and fontconfig-git, then making 32bit builds of those.

Board footer