You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-28 22:17:11

rhomheow

File System Space Extension

I dual booted my laptop and allocated 20GB to the arch linux system since I was now learning how to use it. Now I have exhausted all the 20GB and I need a way to extend the allocated size. Any help???

#2 2017-05-28 23:17:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: File System Space Extension

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resize+filesystem+linux

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I was about to TGN or Dustbin this, but I'll give you a chance to fix it.  However, as is this is not even worth people taking time to try to play 20 questions to get the relevant information out of you - like what filesystem you are using, what you have already searched for or tried, how much space is on the device, what other filesystems are on the device, what partitions/filesystems you can get rid of if any.  So there's a start on those 20 questions.

EDIT: I see your previous thread was TGNed for very similar reasons.  The quality of your threads here (e.g. the time you put into structuring your questions in a way that shows you care as much about an answer as those who would spend their time responding) seems to be degrading.  Please adjust your course.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-05-29 00:18:02

rhomheow

Let me come again then. I use an HP envy x360 m6. I have 1TB of storage on my disk. I allocated just 20GB of this to my arch linux system.  The partition that has the system has the ext4 format. I have 100GB of unallocated space available that I'd like to merge with the 20GB partition. The following is the output of my partition structure.
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
|-sda1   8:1    0   450M  0 part
|-sda2   8:2    0   100M  0 part /boot
|-sda3   8:3    0    16M  0 part
|-sda4   8:4    0  97.1G  0 part /run/media/rhom/C42AF6252AF61460
|-sda5   8:5    0    20G  0 part /
|-sda6   8:6    0 406.9G  0 part /run/media/rhom/Nla
`-sda7   8:7    0 205.3G  0 part
sda5 is where my linux system is and I'd like to merge it with sda7.

Trilby wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resize+filesystem+linux

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I was about to TGN or Dustbin this, but I'll give you a chance to fix it.  However, as is this is not even worth people taking time to try to play 20 questions to get the relevant information out of you - like what filesystem you are using, what you have already searched for or tried, how much space is on the device, what other filesystems are on the device, what partitions/filesystems you can get rid of if any.  So there's a start on those 20 questions.

EDIT: I see your previous thread was TGNed for very similar reasons.  The quality of your threads here (e.g. the time you put into structuring your questions in a way that shows you care as much about an answer as those who would spend their time responding) seems to be degrading.  Please adjust your course.

#4 2017-05-29 00:43:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, that's a much better start.  It may not be practical to merge sda5 with sda7 as there is the other partition between them.  The sda6 partition could (potentially) be moved, or there are ways to use something like a unionfs, but really, if that were my disk I'd consider just formatting sda7 as ext4 and moving (via cp -a or rsync) everything from sda5 to sda7.  This would leave you with a 205GB system rather than the 225GB you might have hoped for from the merger - but this is still *far* more than the 20GB you are currently using.

This approach is also a bit safer than trying to merge/expand partitions.  Expanding a partition is not hard with ext4 when there is empty space adjacent to the partition (not the case here) but even then one should have a backup before attempting it.  If you just copy everything to sda7 there is much much less that could go wrong (in fact if sda7 didn't boot up, you'd have a built in backup still on sda5).

However, as another alternative, you could keep sda5 as a root partition for your arch system and make sda7 a home partition.  Most of the space used in most linux systems is under /home/.  This can grow quite large with media and data files.  The root filesystem (excluding /home) is frequently only a few GB.  20GB should be plenty for a root partition - the only way you'd fill that is if you installed nearly *every* package in the repos.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-05-29 01:03:37

rhomheow

okay

Last edited by rhomheow (2017-05-29 15:54:34)

#6 2017-05-29 15:54:05

rhomheow

The second alternative sounds good. How do i move /home from my root partition to sda7

Trilby wrote:

Thanks, that's a much better start.  It may not be practical to merge sda5 with sda7 as there is the other partition between them.  The sda6 partition could (potentially) be moved, or there are ways to use something like a unionfs, but really, if that were my disk I'd consider just formatting sda7 as ext4 and moving (via cp -a or rsync) everything from sda5 to sda7.  This would leave you with a 205GB system rather than the 225GB you might have hoped for from the merger - but this is still *far* more than the 20GB you are currently using.

This approach is also a bit safer than trying to merge/expand partitions.  Expanding a partition is not hard with ext4 when there is empty space adjacent to the partition (not the case here) but even then one should have a backup before attempting it.  If you just copy everything to sda7 there is much much less that could go wrong (in fact if sda7 didn't boot up, you'd have a built in backup still on sda5).

However, as another alternative, you could keep sda5 as a root partition for your arch system and make sda7 a home partition.  Most of the space used in most linux systems is under /home/.  This can grow quite large with media and data files.  The root filesystem (excluding /home) is frequently only a few GB.  20GB should be plenty for a root partition - the only way you'd fill that is if you installed nearly *every* package in the repos.

#7 2017-05-29 16:52:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

rhomeheow, we do not allow bumping of threads.  You deviously editted your first post so it didn't look like just a duplicate bump post - which in fact looks worse: you are aware you should not just bump a thread but thought you could mislead readers with a strategic edit.  I do not appreciate deliberate dishonesty.

I saw your follow up the first time, but I was hoping you'd take a hint and do some of your own thinking/research.

In short to move /home/ you'd create a filesystem on sda7, copy or move the content of [sda5]/home/ to [sda7]/, then add sda7 to the /etc/fstab.  You can learn more about each of these steps on the wiki or via google.  If you are confused about any step you are free to seek clarification, but do not expect anyone here to hold your hand through every step.

Please also take some time to read our forum guidelines:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct

#8 2017-05-30 19:10:18

rhomheow

Thank you. I won't repeat that

Board footer