You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 23:38:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

Problems installing stock NVidia drivers (solved)

I need to get stock Nvidia drivers working. Anything newer then the 8178 driver causes flicker on one of my monitors. This rules out the current Arch driver.

With that being said, I tried the stock Arch driver anyway. It installed correctly and I got my Xorg.conf file working with that driver. Both of my monitors worked with the correct resolution and everything. Glx loaded, etc. But again, flicker on one screen.

I went back to the 8178 driver which I know works perfectly. I've been using it for months under Mandriva and it performs flawlessly.

After jumping through a few hoops, I got what I thought was a clean install of the 8178 driver. Without changing my Xorg.conf file, I restarted the system and X failed. The output from /var/log/Xorg.0.log threw errors that neither GLX or Nvidia modules were found. So, I went and tried adding 'nvidia' to the modules line in rc.conf to see if that would help; It didn't. While the 'nvidia' module was shown to be running (lsmod), Xorg can't find it.

It seems that my installation wasn't as clean as it seemed. Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 2006-06-17 18:01:51

auditek747
Website

Re: Problems installing stock NVidia drivers (solved)

Try uninstalling with:
nvidia-installer --uninstall

Then install pkgconfig:
pacman -Sy pkgconfig

Reinstall Nvidia driver and add module to /etc/rc.conf.

I hope this is your answer  big_smile

#3 2006-06-17 19:29:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Problems installing stock NVidia drivers (solved)

Holy cow! That's it!! Thanks a million.

Board footer