You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-23 00:24:50

TyranT
Banned

Easiest way to update git packages?

So I currently use cower to manage my AUR packages. It's ok, but I was looking into easier ways to upgrade my AUR packages, especially git builds. I did some googling, and came across a program called "pacaur". It says it has a parameter named "--devel" that checks the cache of git packages to see if any new commits we're added, and automatically builds if new ones were found. Are there easier methods to update AUR packages in this fashion, and is an AUR manager like pacaur considered safe like cower, in comparison to something dangerous like yaogurt?

#2 2017-05-23 01:11:39

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Easiest way to update git packages?

Pacaur is a front end for cower and works extremely well.

For comparisons, see this table https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU … ison_table

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-05-23 03:07:23

TyranT
Banned

I seen that page before. Owlman caught my eye, but it didn't mention anything about checking for commit updates on development packages. It seems pacaur is the only one. After creating so many lib32 packages recently, my git packages are through the roof. I need something that can compile them all without have to manually do it with cower alone. I'm going to post the PKGBUILDS for the lib32 git packages I made very shortly.

#4 2017-05-23 14:11:40

Spyhawk

1/ Not as far as I know.
2/ Yes, but note that no helper is safe if you don't review the PKGBUILDs and install scripts.

#5 2017-05-31 20:14:47

leo2501

For me the easiest way, that also gives me total control and no dependency on third party script/app, is the following:

1) create aur directory in home: mkdir aur
2) git clone: git clone <git_package_url_from_aur.archlinux.org>
3) review PKGBUILD: vim PKGBUILD
4) install package: makepkg -si
5) check packages updates in aur dir: for dir in ~/aur/*; do (cd "$dir" && pwd && git pull); done

You can add alias to .bash_aliases: alias aur_update='for dir in ~/aur/*; do (cd "$dir" && pwd && git pull); done'

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#6 2017-05-31 20:26:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

leo, that completely misses the point of this thread.  That will pull updates of any PKGBUILDs or build files, but it will not register when the upstream source of -git packages has updates.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer