You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-18 16:26:07

Gullible Jones

Using nVidia drivers with Xorg 7.1

Evidently it can be done.

jamesjones wrote:

I have tried the COPY_BUFFER=0 case you describe. The GL application windows continued to update.

There are no issues with XGrabServer confusing the GPU. It can be called at any time and, once it has reached the server, will block further rendering from direct and indirect OpenGL clients until the server is ungrabbed. Regarding XGrabServer blocking GLX calls, yes, this is a known issue in our driver as well. In general, it is a good rule of thumb to grab the server only as long as necessary anyway. You should only need the grab around the actual copy operations, not the GLX calls.

As to the double buffering issue, there should be no problems with XRender reading from double buffered GLX pixmaps or windows. I would ensure all your gl read operations are set to the front buffer with glReadBuffer(GL_FRONT) as well as all your drawing operations.

NVIDIA drivers should work fine with xorg 7.1 with the following exceptions:

-You'll need to disable RenderAccel, as the glyph ABI change broke our acceleration:

Option "RenderAccel" "False"

-You'll need to start X with the ignoreABI option to get the server and driver to play nice with eachother:

startx -- -ignoreABI

-James

Not sure what the catch is, though, or if --ignoreABI could also work with fglrx... I'll have to look into this.

Board footer