You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-07 13:47:39

Sviests

Running gnome-shell with primusrun(optirun)

I have a ThinkPad W541 with Nvidia/Intel graphics and I have managed to create a working bumblebee configuration where I can use primusrun or optirun for GPU intensive applications. Recently I bought a 4K screen and it seems that even such things as gnome-shell is a bit too much for the Intel gpu to run at 4K. I was wondering, if there is a way to run the entire gnome-shell with primusrun/optirun or, best case scenario, have it so that when I plug in the 4K screen in the display port, the Nvidia GPU gets automatically used for it. I have been going through the Wiki about the possible configurations but I cannot make any sense of it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2017-06-07 16:26:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Running gnome-shell with primusrun(optirun)

Remove bumblebee, follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus instead. If you use a display manager, note the appropriate section.  Note that GDM has a history of breaking with this setup, so you might want to switch display managers if you use it and the described setup doesn't work (also note if you need to be mobile, with this setup you won't be able to suspend and hibernate properly).

#3 2017-06-08 06:40:54

Sviests

Re: Running gnome-shell with primusrun(optirun)

If it brakes suspend and hibernation, then it`s not really an option... Also, I want to keep the possibility to use the Intel GPU when I am not connected to the external monitor...

Board footer