You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-04 13:53:20

jskier
Website

Custom Kernel 2.6.3 kernel boot problems

I am installing the ATI drivers by compiling a custom kernel per the instructions at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … hlight=ati. I am able to compile the kernel, but upon reboot I recieved the following-

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

So I changed the FSTAB and Grub configuration to /dev/hdb3 instead of discs/disc1/part3/ (and the other partitions as accordingly). This allowed the boot process to get further, however, either of these configurations allowed me to do tab complettion when I edit the Grub menu. And although the boot process got further, it gets to the point where it reboots (quickly flashes "Restarting System" at the bottom of the screen before this), and, nothing is in the /var/log/kernel file for this booting session!

My questions are this:
1) I read somewhere on the boards about not having DEVFS support compilied into the kernel, but I was unable to find such a setting during configuration (could someone speccifiy more on where and what the setting is called?).
2) What are log filles and where are they located that would be useful for me and also recieving more help on this problem?

Thanks greatly appreciated in advance. Just keep in mind this is the first time I have compiled a kernel so if certain files need to be changed I will need their respective names and locations.

Thanks again, JSkier

--
JSkier

#2 2004-03-04 16:14:12

sarah31
Website

Re: Custom Kernel 2.6.3 kernel boot problems

i believe under filesystems (not at alinux box tright now) there is a section that has devfs settings you need to enable devfs support and for it to start at boot.

log files are files that record, log, informaqtion about different system or software operations they are commonly found in /var

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-03-04 17:47:47

Thanks. I'll try looking there when I get home, however, I don't recall seeing it under filesystems before... I'll post what I find. Assuming I get it, how do I enable it at boot time?

JSkier

#4 2004-03-04 18:44:31

sarah31
Website

jskier10 wrote:

Thanks. I'll try looking there when I get home, however, I don't recall seeing it under filesystems before... I'll post what I find. Assuming I get it, how do I enable it at boot time?

JSkier

well in previous 2.4 kernels i don't think devffs was in filesystems section but i think it is now.  regardless if you want to be sure you can look either in abs at the config file in the kernel26 directory or online via the web interface for the CVS and you can scroll through until you find the devfs section. you will, when configuring your kernel, that it is marked as obsolete. don't worry about that it will work and devfs is currently in a better working state than udev which will eventually replace it.

as for enabling it to come up at boot ... it is an option in the same section.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-03-04 20:13:19

rberry88

After you compile your kernel with devfs support + at boot time you also need to make sure to add a line as follows to your fstab file:

none   /dev/pts    devpts    defaults   0    0

rberry88

#6 2004-03-05 12:56:17

calexico

also be carefuul to add your filesystem driver IN THE KERNEL and not as a module, if you are using reiserfs for exemple. I had kind of the same problem until i realize that this was the reason.

#7 2004-03-05 18:23:40

jskier
Website

Thanks.... Turned out I misread the ATI document wrong. Works fine now, too bad I'm in a whole new world of problems with the ATI drivers  :twisted:
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, the forum and the Arch distribution are the best!

JSkier

--
JSkier

Board footer