You are not logged in.

#76 2014-08-10 15:33:27

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch Classroom

There will be a class taught by nisstyre called "Introduction to Scheme and Functional Programming". It will be on Friday, September 5th at 8pm UTC (4pm EDT, 9am NZDT) in #archlinux-classroom on the freenode network. The class is expected to run for 1-2 hours.

Learn the basics of Scheme and how to write practical, useful functional code, while having fun! Both beginners and advanced practitioners are welcome to attend. There are no prerequisites but it helps to have some basic programming knowledge - like variables, conditionals, looping, and an idea of what a function is.

Nisstyre is a long time user of Arch Linux (approx. 6 years). He is a programmer who previously worked in a startup. Currently he is a student doing academic research. He likes free software and privacy. His GitHub can be found at <https://github.com/nisstyre56>. He is a member of <http://wg.oftn.org/>.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#77 2014-09-16 22:39:18

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Logs for the scheme class are up at https://archwomen.org/media/project_cla … amming.txt.

#78 2015-04-03 14:41:37

Meskarune
Website

Hello ya'll. I'd like to see another PKGBUILD class and a class on using git. If anyone is interested in teaching a class, either on IRC or a platform of your choice, please get into contact with me! I'm on the forums and IRC with the nick "meskarune".

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#79 2015-05-08 01:47:35

fsckd
Forum Fellow

HalosGhost will teach a class, "An Imperfect Introduction to Static Typing", on Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 21:30 UTC. It will tentatively be held in #archlinux-classroom. The class is expected to take about 1.5 hours.

Static typing is where the type of data a variable will hold is defined when the program is written, and that definition is enforced during the program's run. In this class learn the basics to start reasoning about functions written in statically typed languages and understand the differences between static typing and dynamic typing. The class is for beginners to static typing. There are no prerequisites.

HalosGhost, resident panda of the Arch Linux community, is well liked for eir* ability to dodge lazors. Ey enjoys programming and is familiar with many languages, like C, Java, Python, and Rust. Ey also knows a little Haskell.

* Mercurian pronouns "ey" and "eir", https://theos.kyriasis.com/~kyrias/jour … nouns.html

Edit: Rescheduled, see the next post.

Last edited by fsckd (2015-05-14 21:09:03)

#80 2015-05-14 15:29:34

fsckd
Forum Fellow

HalosGhost is in the middle of moving and will not get internet at home in time for the class, "An Imperfect Introduction to Static Typing". It is rescheduled to Sunday, May 17th at 23:00 UTC. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#81 2015-05-20 22:45:07

fsckd
Forum Fellow

#82 2016-07-08 16:37:09

fsckd
Forum Fellow

If you are interested in starting with Git, there will soon be a class for beginners called "Git for Gits", taught by polyzen and meskarune, on Saturday, 16th July, at 16:00 UTC. It will be held in the IRC channel #archlinux-classroom on the freenode network.

The class will cover the basics of creating and using a Git repository. Git is used by many FOSS projects to manage code. It is used extensively in Arch Linux, such as on the AUR. You can also use it to track dotfiles, configuration, blog posts, college essays, and any textual data (and even non-textual).

The class is also a workshop where you will get a chance to play around with a Git repository. Please visit the following web page to sign up. You will need to make an SSH key. Directions are on the page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Classroom/git_2016

polyzen is a lactose intolerant Linux Professional. He has been using Linux for about 5 years, and switched to Arch Linux over 3 years ago.

meskarune is an artist, programmer, and sysadmin. She has contributed to FOSS for 16 years and been an Arch user for 9 years.

(Associated mailing list post.)

#83 2016-07-19 15:33:17

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The logs for the class Git for Gits are up.

Also available is the outline for the class (linked to from within the logs).

ASCIInema demonstrations:
Clone, add file, push
Rebase while one commit ahead and behind upstream
Branch, add commit, and merge into master

All these are available in the classroom-media git repository.

#84 2016-12-03 00:20:35

Meskarune
Website

New Class, "Getting Started with Arch Linux Package Building"

The class will be held on Sunday, Dec 11th at 19:00 UTC in #archlinux-classroom on irc.freenode.net. Taught by myself and halosghost.

This class will give you the understanding and resources to read, edit and write your own PKGBUILDs from scratch. We will be covering basic PKGBUILDs as well as version control systems and GPG signed software. You will also learn how to check PKGBUILDs for errors and security issues to look out for. Everyone is welcome to join. The rules posted in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct will be enforced.

Prerequisites
* Have a basic understanding of filesystems and filesystem permissions
* Know basic shell commands
* Know how to extract archives (eg: `bsdtar -xf filename`)
* Ability to use a text editor (e.g., nano, vim, emacs, etc.)
* Have base and base-devel installed (ArchLinux-specific) along with pacman/makepkg and namcap

Teachers:

"halosghost, resident panda of the Arch Linux community, enjoys programming, bagels and banning * on irc."

"meskarune is an artist, programmer and sysadmin. She has contributed to FOSS for 16 years and been an Arch user for 9 years."

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#85 2016-12-30 01:16:30

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Oops! My apologies. I forgot to post that the logs for the class Getting Started with Arch Linux Packaging are available (and have been for over two weeks). The logs of all past classes are linked from the ArchWiki within a week after classes finish. Have fun! smile

#86 2017-01-03 21:53:37

AtomBlau4861A

Reading wikis and manuals can get boring, so it's nice to have a classroom like this for talking about common interests. I attended the Packaging class, having almost no knowledge about pacman beyond the usual, greedy take this, that, this, that, and that. Since then, I completed a first package, primarily for my own learning:

pendulumdata AUR package

"PendulumData" isn't a "HelloWorld" type program , so it could be worthwhile to study / play with. You can think of the package as a science game where the winner is the person who finds the best cheat for the input parameters and subsequently obtains the most precise parameter estimates in terms of deviation and error. The default leads to good estimates, probably not the best. Accepting feedback now.

Even if you don't like science, there's a nice ASCII animation of a mouse doing a science experiment. My friend told me she thought it was cool.

Thanks again for doing the packaging class, hope to see more like this in the future.

#87 2017-05-29 19:30:14

eschwartz
Fellow

Eschwartz will be teaching a class "The Beginner's Guide to Arch Linux package management". As usual, the class will be taught in the #archlinux-classroom channel on irc.freenode.net. It will take place on Sunday, June 4 at 17:00:00 UTC, and last approximately 2 hours.

This class is primarily focused on teaching the basic structure of PKGBUILDs: how to read/write/modify them, handle different source types, common errors and how to avoid them, and finally contribute them to the AUR for others to use. Everyone is welcome to join, as long as you follow the eminently fair rules in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct. smile

Prerequisites:
* Have a basic knowledge of bash and shell commands in general.
* The ability to use a text editor (e.g., nano, vim, emacs, gedit, Atom, etc.)

Eschwartz is well known for his profusion of posts to the Arch Linux Fora, Mailing Lists, bugtracker, and IRC -- basically, anywhere that doesn't shut the door on him first. He has been an Arch user ever since he was introduced to Linux about four years ago, and has never looked back. He enjoys bash scripting, ebooks, and (apparently) referring to himself in third-person.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#88 2017-06-10 01:47:37

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Sorry for the delay. Logs for the class "The Beginner's Guide to Arch Linux Package Management" are up. https://archwomen.org/media/project_cla … gement.txt

#89 2017-06-10 08:06:31

Henry Flower

fsckd wrote:

Sorry for the delay. Logs for the class "The Beginner's Guide to Arch Linux Package Management" are up. https://archwomen.org/media/project_cla … gement.txt

Thanks for making that available -- I wanted to attend the class but couldn't make it, so this will be very useful for me. Of course, thanks most of all to Eschwartz for giving the class. Henry Flower is most grateful.

#90 2017-09-29 22:37:39

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The class Python for Beginners - Part 1 will be held on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 at 16:00 UTC in the channel #archlinux-classroom on the freenode network. It will be taught by pulec. The class is expected to run for about 2 hours.

This class will introduce you to programming with Python and how to use IPython with an editor/IDE. Commonly used built-in functions and libraries will be explained. Other topics will explored based on participant interests.

The class will be screen-shared live (via YouTube), and later archived with subtitles. Questions and some discussion on IRC is expected, however the main part will be video and audio.

In preparation for the class, install the Jupyter notebook. ``pacman -S jupyter`` or, in a Python 3  virtualenv, ``pip3 install jupyter``. Also check out the python-beginners git repository on Arch Classroom's GitHub[1] where you will find IPython notebooks and links to useful resources on learning Python: https://github.com/archclassroom/python-beginners

pulec is an Arch Linux user since 2012, gamer and gardener. He makes a living using Linux and Python since 2013 and recently joined Red Hat. He hopes to spread IT knowledge and open source ideas to the general populace. Some code - https://github.com/Pulecz

#91 2017-10-18 14:51:33

Pulec

Hi everyone, so some of you attended at Wednesday 4th October and saw that youtube streaming was not ideal, I set up obs-studio to record high quality locally as well stream at the same time which resulted in disaster. Dropped frames, unusable recordings both local and streamed. The other part went better.

Not only for this reason, the first part will be repeated on 27th October now at 07:00 UTC since we will have people from China or Australia attending, for those unable to attend at the time, you should be able to get proper youtube recordings later, together with subtitles and IRC log.

I will set up another framadate pool, this time maybe without passwords, to agree on date for part 2.

As we discussed on IRC, on our python-beginners git repo we will probably setup rss file so anyone interested can get updated quickly for other sessions.
I hope to write some "tips and tricks" for these multi-sessions, streaming part and etc and maybe in future we will get more complex classes.

EDIT: Repeat of session #1 happened, however, I will make an offline recording to summarize the whole session #1 where I mainly explained:

* What is Python and why to learn it
* Basic datatypes string, int, floats and etc.
* Use of ipython or the dir and help functions on different datatypes
* Looping using for on lists and dictionaries

The reason to make a third recording is that I am not satisfied with the quality of my speech on live-stream and when someone would want to revisit these better to watch polished video.

Last edited by Pulec (2017-10-30 11:21:02)

IRC: pulec

#92 2017-10-30 11:37:56

Pulec

Anyone interested in continuing the Python education, here is the link for a poll to pick an ideal date for session #2 https://framadate.org/archpyb-poll-2.
Deadline for voting is on 10th of November, so that means that the days in a poll from 1st to 10th are useless... Managing all this seems harder then I imagined.

EDIT: People can now see what others voted for, so they can pick one time, rather than shoot for a date in whole week.

Last edited by Pulec (2017-10-30 15:56:53)

IRC: pulec

#93 2017-12-12 19:54:03

applebaps
Website

As a nerdy lady type, I'm really glad to see an organization like Arch Women exists!  I'm looking forward to joining in on classes whenever I can.  Thanks everyone for your continued efforts!

Board footer