You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-06 20:04:04

Mitmischer

no music with openttd

Hello,

I recently installed openttd and while sound effects are fine, there is no background music.

I grabbed openttd-openmsx from AUR.
This package depends on timidity and timidity-freepats which are obviously supposed to provide MIDI support on my system.

My config file for timidity reads as follows:

dir /usr/share/timidity/freepats
source /etc/timidity++/freepats/freepats.cfg

When lauching timidity directory on the game's music files ...

timidity /usr/share/openttd/gm/tttheme2.mid

... the music is playing correctly.
When launching the game however, there is no music and the Jazz Jukebox keeps scrolling through the titles.

Interestingly enough, when I launch timidity on an arbitrary music track before starting openttd, music also works as expected in OpenTTD. Then, I hear both the music from the timidity I started myself and from OpenTTD - but, if I suspend timidity (therefore muting it), OpenTTD music *still* works. This is the workaround I am currently using. Note that timidity must be suspended - killing timidity will let OpenTTD play the current song to its end but music is broken afterwards. Also note that starting OpenTTD before timidity does not work. Then, timidity fails with ...

connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
Couldn't open output device

... as long as OpenTTD is running.

Has anyone managed to run OpenTTD with music and without the tedious workaround?

#2 2017-06-06 20:39:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: no music with openttd

You can start timidity as a background service that listens to incoming MIDI connections. Read here for more info. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Timidity#Daemon If you use pulseaudio, pay close attention to the additional steps outlined in the linked paragraph

#3 2017-06-12 07:56:05

rowdog

Re: no music with openttd

I just fixed my openttd music an hour ago...

# pacman -S timidity++ timidity-freepats
# cp /etc/timidity++/timidity-freepats.cfg /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg

Don't forget to install some music too, my cat loves Modern Motion (available in the ingame content downloader).

Edit: I was so excited to see someone with the exact issue I had just solved so I kind of didn't really read your post. Sorry. This is a fresh install of Arch and those two commands were how I made the music work, no workarounds needed.

Last edited by rowdog (2017-06-12 08:08:03)

Board footer