You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-12 16:54:26

kokoko3k

[SOLVED] Store a lithium battery for 2 years?

I just received a new lihium battery for a netbook.
The seller has sent me an used battery (max charge 85% and 316 cycles count); as i pointed to him, he said it was a mistake and that tomorrow he will send me another one and that i can keep the previous.
So i'd like to use them both now, but i really don't know if is that possible; i would use the "85% battery" now till it will become useless, and then i would plan to replace with the one he will sell tomorrow.
I've read that the best way to store a lithium battery for long time is to half charge it;

Is that right?
Would it last 2 years stored that way?
What if i charge it to 100% instead?

Thank you!

Last edited by kokoko3k (2017-06-12 18:43:09)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#2 2017-06-12 17:16:19

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Store a lithium battery for 2 years?

Searching for "store lithium battery" yields many pages of relevant results. Anything that anyone could possibly post here will almost surely be found on those pages, in greater detail. Please take some time to read through the available information.

The general rule seems to be to store the battery at ~40%. If you want to be more precise, some articles recommend storing at a given voltage (but I've seen different figures).

It will not last 2 years. The battery will gradually discharge and you will need to recharge it a bit every few months. If it falls below a given charge, the battery cannot be recharged (see the different webpages for details).

Values for storage temperature vary (15-20C?). Obviously avoid temperature changes, moisture, sunlight, etc.

You would probably be better off using the new battery and keeping the old one around until you need it. That way you get full use of the new one, and if the storage period shortens the other battery's life, you don't miss out on much. Besides, in 2 years time there may be much better batteries or you may have a new computer.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2017-06-12 18:43:00

kokoko3k

Thanks for answering.
Yes, I've read those pages and i understood that letting the battery discharge under a certain amount would lead them to death.
I was asking here because maybe someone could have better knowledge of the internals, hence my question: why not storing at 100%.

Anyway, i'll mark this as solved, if anyone has something "new" to add, please, do smile

-edit-
Typos.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2017-06-12 20:39:11)

#4 2017-06-12 23:43:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

See: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/ … _batteries

Do check that website as it seems to have lots of information.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2017-06-13 14:15:02

kokoko3k

Thanks, it seems that storing the battery with 40% charge in the fridge is the way to go smile

Board footer