You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-16 11:27:08

TrLeth

[SOLVED]Keyboard layout on Mac is broken

In order to get used to it, for the time being, I'm installing arch linux on a virtual box in my mac, but the default keyboard layout though can be endured for the time being, it is not not completely proper layout my keyboard, and if I'm going to install arch on my hard drive, I wouldn't use the default layout.Addition to that, the mac-us/mac-uk layouts are totally broken, I mean, for example, when I press backspace, it wrote "e", so is there any layout that I can use or is there any other solution to this problem ?

Edit:

To set my locale

I have uncommented the lines

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.ISO-8859-1

and did the rest of the instructions in  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ide#Locale.
To set my keyboard layout to mac-us, I have run

loadkeys mac-us

I have tested in console directly, and I use Macbook Air (Early 2015).

The language code is TURKISH - QWERT PC in mac, and I think the problem is due to this option in my host, so I'm investigating it right now.

Last edited by TrLeth (2017-06-16 17:29:12)

#2 2017-06-16 11:33:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Keyboard layout on Mac is broken

I'm quite sure the keyboard layouts are not "totally broken".  I believe you are having problems, but you need to describe what they are for us to help you.  Is the backspace printing 'e' the only problem?  When/where does that happen?  What have you done to configure your keyboard?  What have you done to configure your locale?

mod note: note an Installation issue, moved to N.C.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-06-16 11:54:33

TrLeth

Trilby wrote:

I'm quite sure the keyboard layouts are not "totally broken".  I believe you are having problems, but you need to describe what they are for us to help you.  Is the backspace printing 'e' the only problem?  When/where does that happen?  What have you done to configure your keyboard?  What have you done to configure your locale?

mod note: note an Installation issue, moved to N.C.

If I use mac-us/mac-uk layouts, they are really "totally broken", I mean there is no button that works correctly, but if I use the default layout(us or uk, I haven't observed any difference between), the issues are as the following and similar problems;

to write = , I use SHIFT + "-"
to write ", Iuse SHIFT + " ş ",
to write /, I use " . ", and so and so forth, I mean just the special characters are out of place.

To answer your specific question, it happens all the time, and I didn't do any thing to configure my layouts, and since I haven't configured my locale either, but in my previous installation, there was no difference after configuring my locale either.

Note, for the time being, I'm installing arch on virtual box.

Last edited by TrLeth (2017-06-16 12:00:55)

#4 2017-06-16 12:03:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

#5 2017-06-16 12:16:23

TrLeth

V1del wrote:

I have checked that, but the only thing that might work is that I need to list all broken buttons, and assigning them to the correct button one by one.

I don't know whether https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hid- … -git-dkms/ works, but after completing the installation, I'm going to try though they don't mention any of the problems that I have.

Last edited by TrLeth (2017-06-16 12:34:49)

#6 2017-06-16 12:45:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TrLeth wrote:

I didn't do any thing to configure my layouts, and since I haven't configured my locale either...

Then perhaps you should.

If you didn't configure your locale, you didn't properly install arch linux.  If you didn't configure your keyboard layouts, I don't know how you think you are using mac-us or mac-uk.

How did you install this system?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2017-06-16 13:16:00

TrLeth

Trilby wrote:
TrLeth wrote:

I didn't do any thing to configure my layouts, and since I haven't configured my locale either...

Then perhaps you should.

If you didn't configure your locale, you didn't properly install arch linux.  If you didn't configure your keyboard layouts, I don't know how you think you are using mac-us or mac-uk.

How did you install this system?

No, I mean I tried mac-us/mac-uk earlier.Plus, after I'had set up my locale, the mac-us/uk layouts weren't working.

#8 2017-06-16 13:44:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ok then, so if you did configure those layouts and you did set up your locale, answer my questions on how you did these things.  What steps did you take, what configurations did you use.  This is beyond tedious at this point - start providing some information or this thread will go nowhere.

#9 2017-06-16 15:38:50

seth

Are you aware that in virtualbox you'll have a virtual (emulated) keyboard that has zero relation to your actual hardware keyboard (but is mapped by virtualbox)?

In addition to that, you provided absolutely *no* information on this:
- your tested/desired session (console, Xorg, wayland)?
- your keyboard driver (notably in the xorg case, no that's not the layout)
- your actual hardware keyboard - "my mac" is completely unspecific. Macbook? iMac? An Apple keyboard? A real keyboard?
- yout language code? The international layout (qwerty, qwertz, azerty, dvorak, something entirely different ...)
- some conclusive description of your perception in contrast to your expectation.

Right now, this is *literally* a "something not does works, please help" thread.

#10 2017-06-16 16:51:14

TrLeth

Trilby wrote:

ok then, so if you did configure those layouts and you did set up your locale, answer my questions on how you did these things.  What steps did you take, what configurations did you use.  This is beyond tedious at this point - start providing some information or this thread will go nowhere.

seth wrote:

Are you aware that in virtualbox you'll have a virtual (emulated) keyboard that has zero relation to your actual hardware keyboard (but is mapped by virtualbox)?

In addition to that, you provided absolutely *no* information on this:
- your tested/desired session (console, Xorg, wayland)?
- your keyboard driver (notably in the xorg case, no that's not the layout)
- your actual hardware keyboard - "my mac" is completely unspecific. Macbook? iMac? An Apple keyboard? A real keyboard?
- yout language code? The international layout (qwerty, qwertz, azerty, dvorak, something entirely different ...)
- some conclusive description of your perception in contrast to your expectation.

Right now, this is *literally* a "something not does works, please help" thread.

You are absolutely right,  and I'm sorry for that, I have not much experience with linux and therefore I don't exactly know how to ask a proper question with context.

I'm providing the necessary informations in a minute in the thread.

#11 2017-06-16 17:27:33

TrLeth

Ok, thanks to the questions of @seth I have solved the problem.

I was using TURKISH - QWERTY PC keyboard, and thus I need to use

tr_q-latini5

keymap, so everything work properly now.

Thanks for everything guys.

Last edited by TrLeth (2017-06-16 17:27:47)

Board footer