You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-14 14:59:25

jab2870

3rd party package fulfils dependency

Hi,

I use xampp for local servers on my machine. I do this for a variety of reasons, but that isn't what the question is about. The problem is that I want to tell pacman that php, mysql etc are installed, despite them not being installed through pacman.

This would, hopefully, mean that packages that depend on PHP (composer for example) wouldn't install PHP again on my system.

Thanks for any help in advance.

#2 2017-06-14 15:48:42

Slithery
Administrator

Re: 3rd party package fulfils dependency

You could either edit the xampp PKGBUILD so that it provides php mysql etc, or create a dummy package that just provides php, mysql etc with no other content and install that.
This would let you install other applications that depend on php without installing it on your system, but these applications may not work as xampp provides non-standard locations for the php and other binarys.

If I was in your situation I would just use the standard packages instead of xampp, it's the 'correct' method.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-06-14 16:53:52)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-06-14 16:04:05

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'd say that sooner or later you _will_ run into hard to debug problems if you don't use the official php/mysql/other packages.

If you can install the packages on the official repos as those are the supported packages, not to mention that they will most probably be updated with security fixes faster than what xampp might provide.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2017-06-14 16:49:17

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Why do you have PHP, MySQL, etc. installed outside of pacman? I ask because one does need to to use packages in the main repositories. One can make their own packages to install things and have them "provide" the packages from the repositories.

Edit: xampp is in the AUR. Did you use that?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2017-06-14 17:45:18

mrunion
Website

Just to echo what others have said to the original poster -- don't do what you think you want to do. Just do it The Right Way(TM).

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#6 2017-06-15 11:04:53

jab2870

Thanks all of you for your advise.

The main reason I am using xampp is because it allows me to easily have multiple versions of php on my system (easily).  I need this because I make websites for a living and it is useful to be able to replicate the version of php that will be installed on the deployment server.  There is also software I use (Magento for example) that doesn't yet support PHP 7.1.x.

I am pretty sure that when I installed xampp, it wasn't available in the AUR, I can see it is now.  I might try installing it from there.

I have the folder that xampp makes (/opt/lampp/bin) in my PATH so running the php command still works.

#7 2017-06-15 13:39:22

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

jab2870 wrote:

Thanks all of you for your advise.

The main reason I am using xampp is because it allows me to easily have multiple versions of php on my system (easily).  I need this because I make websites for a living and it is useful to be able to replicate the version of php that will be installed on the deployment server.  There is also software I use (Magento for example) that doesn't yet support PHP 7.1.x.

I am pretty sure that when I installed xampp, it wasn't available in the AUR, I can see it is now.  I might try installing it from there.

I have the folder that xampp makes (/opt/lampp/bin) in my PATH so running the php command still works.

one word: containers.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2017-06-18 06:26:32

severach

Other versions of PHP are available in the AUR. One of my packages still requires php5. A small change to its PKGBUILD and it will run the system version or any specified version.

Board footer