You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-13 03:55:04

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Autologin causes hang on tty1

https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/

Reinstalling from scratch (using the current installation iso) may be easier.

#27 2014-03-13 04:35:50

pleearcher

Ahh...I see. Thanks for the heads up...and for pointing out where I should be looking for update news. I'll give it a try and hopefully that will be the end of that.

#28 2014-03-13 05:35:53

pleearcher

Oh yeah! Thanks one and all! That did the trick! Not only am I now able to update the system...but the auto login is working without issue any more. Oh yes!

The only thing that is a bit disturbing now is that on boot up I am getting a message displayed that says (during all the messages you see on the console during the boot up sequence):

***Warning***
The root device is not configured to be mounted read/write! It may be fsck'd again later.

I've been digging in the forums and found this thread that seems to address the matter (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167153&p=1). I think, from reading the thread I understand the nature of the problem, but I'm not certain about the fix. The references to the kernel command line are what is throwing me. If I understand correctly, the kernel command line is specified in my /etc/default/grub file (which I later use grub-mkconfig to turn it into an actual config usable by grub), but when I look at the contents of my /etc/default/grub file I'm a bit perplexed as to what exactly I am supposed to change (add 'rw' to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= or perhaps GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT? I think I am going to have to spend some more quality time with the wiki page and the online docs to figure this out).

However, thank you everyone once again for your quick and friendly help. The person who told me about Arch Linux indicated that the support is top-notch...and I have to agree. Nearly all of the problems I've encountered have had answers in the documentation, and most of it I have been able to find without help. But when it comes to those times when you do need help, you folks are very helpful and generous with your time.

Thank you!

#29 2014-03-13 05:48:01

karol
Archivist

According to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1308745 no manual changes are necessary.

#30 2014-03-13 12:53:20

pleearcher

What do you know? As easy as that!

Thank you, karol...I appreciate the link. Yep, exactly right. Just rerun grub-mkconfig and all is now humming right along.

#31 2017-06-18 15:57:50

lparcq

That has been marked as solved for a long time, but I've got the same issue recently related to a change in gpg.

First of all, the autologin configuration has changed. It used to be in /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/autologin.conf but it is now in override.conf. The command line has changed too. It is better to reconfigure according to Automatic login to virtual console.

But actually, it was hanging because I ran "gpg-connect-agent updatestartuptty /bye" as it was recommended before. It is better not to start the gpg-agent at all anymore since systemd starts the agent on demand.

#32 2017-06-18 16:46:09

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't necrobump. If you feel this needs to be documented better, update the wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer