You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-18 12:41:17

daankata

Difference between nointegrity, noatime & relatime

What is the difference between nointegrity, noatime and relatime? And what is the best option for a SSD? I am using ext4 as my filesystem. And why disabling journaling on my system, data loss can occur? Can I use for example nointergrity & noatime together in fstab, or only one option is accepted?
Thank you!

#2 2017-06-18 12:56:58

adesh

Re: Difference between nointegrity, noatime & relatime

Use relatime to avoid breaking software that uses atime.

#3 2017-06-18 13:00:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

adesh wrote:

Use relatime to avoid breaking software that uses atime.

Software will not really "break".  Some features of some software may depend on atime, but both of those "somes" have become very very small subsets - and the intersection of the two is vanishingly small.  Do you have any examples of anything you actually use that would break with noatime?  I use noatime on all of my ssd systems.  I'm not equiped to give a detailed answer to all the OPs questions (but google likely is), but claiming that noatime will break software is just nonsense.

SSDs and filesystems have both come a long way since SSDs were new.  For the most part, you don't need to do anything special for SSDs now.  Trim is useful, see the wiki on a couple approaches to using that.  Journaling is useful on any hardware, so don't disable it for no reason (and minimizing writes on an SSD is no longer a reason).  If atimes are useful to you, feel free to use relatime, but noatime works fine for a vast majority of cases.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-06-18 17:00:49

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The alternative to relatime and noatime is lazytime which should not have a performance penalty and should be the most compatible if the filesystem you are using supports it.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer