You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-18 21:24:04

CrypticInsanity

[SOLVED] DM not showing when using intel graphics

Hi,

Please tell me that I'm not just being stupid but here's my situation.

I've installed arch on a USB stick, installed NVidia drivers, a DM (lightdm) and a DE (XFCE). The install went fine and works great.
However the reason I installed arch on a USB stick was to use it on different PCs. Including ones with intel graphics, so I enable early KMS, take out my graphics card and boot. It loads in fairly regularly but stops before the DM, however moving onto the x server terminal (Ctrl + alt + F7)

I quickly presumed that this issue is because of drivers, therefore I install and uninstall various drivers, this is a list of what I tried;

1. Only vesa drivers
2. Vesa + intel drivers (not sure if the vesa should make any difference here)
3. Only intel
4. Only fbdev - as the forums says it checks here first if it cannot find any drivers
5. All of the above without nvidia drivers just to check
6. No graphical drivers.

Yet all it shows is either:
[  OK  ] Started Authorization Manager
[  OK  ] Started Accounts Service

Or:
Just a flashing _

Can anyone please help what I hope is just a stupid mistake?

Last edited by CrypticInsanity (2017-06-19 17:44:19)

#2 2017-06-18 21:44:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] DM not showing when using intel graphics

I'd not bother with the intel driver on a portable stick.  Many (maybe most) people with intel hardware don't even use the intel driver, the modesetting driver built into the kernel is better in many cases (and more stable in all cases).

As to your actual problem, you said you removed the nvidia graphics card, did you add an intel graphics card?  Or was this hardware hybrid graphics to begin with?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-06-19 00:11:23

CrypticInsanity

Just the graphics built into the processor. My model at the moment is the intel i5 4460 if it helps, but I would also like to use this install on skylake and above processors which I believe from the wiki might need additional setup. Yet I still need to get it working on my current PC.

When I first configured the arch build similar things happened which just required the nvidia drivers to fix. I wonder if it's something as simple as the driver isn't loading or something.

#4 2017-06-19 00:25:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Did you create any xorg configs for the nvidia card before removing it, that'd cause a problem.

But in any case, post the Xorg logs.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-06-19 02:00:24

CrypticInsanity

I don't believe I touched xorg once during setup, other than installation - however I believe these are the logs you mean: https://pastebin.com/LrQjmL25

#6 2017-06-19 06:30:24

seth

[    58.814] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[    58.832] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"

#7 2017-06-19 07:31:00

CrypticInsanity

Wait, so if that's the case then would deleting the config file help? Would it regenerate?

#8 2017-06-19 11:35:04

seth

Yes and no.

#9 2017-06-19 11:48:18

CrypticInsanity

Then do I need the config file if it would help by deleting it?
If I do need it then how do I regenerate it? By reinstalling xorg?

#10 2017-06-19 12:00:04

seth

Static Xorg config files are deprecated for years. *If* you need to configure something (usually options for certain drivers *if* they're used) you'd drop in some configlet into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
This is however rarely *required* and usually only to add some flavor (keyboard layout, mouse speed, GPU/IGP power management adjustments ...)
In 99% of all cases, X11 will at least work out of the box.

The static config file is something you or some tool (nvidia-settings) have created, it's nothing provided by some Arch package.

#11 2017-06-19 12:24:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

To expand on the above, any "flavor" added by the xorg configs is almost always hardware-specific.  On any other hardware it may make xorg fail to run entirely (this is likely what you are now dealing with).

So while xorg conf files in general are not useful, on any portable stick install like you are trying to make they are just a horrible idea.

I don't have much experience with nvidia, but I suspect much the same can be said for the nvidia drivers.  The proprietary nvidia drivers can offer some performance benefits when properly tuned and configured for your specific hardware, but for a portable stick where you don't need optimal performance on one specific bit of hardware but rather good performance on all hardware, you'll likely be much better off with the open source drivers.

#12 2017-06-19 17:42:27

CrypticInsanity

Yes, the xorg.conf file was the issue, upon removal the x server now runs flawlessly on both intel and nvidia graphics.

Thanks for helping out with this and sorry it was so simple, that's why I posted in the newbie forums lol smile

#13 2017-06-19 17:43:10

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please mark as SOLVED by editing the title of your initial post

Board footer