You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-16 02:36:24

rmrfwindows

speedstep-centrino in beyond doesn't work

Hi, I have Arch running on an inspiron 9400 with a core duo. If I boot into the normal arch kernel, cpu scaling works fine. But, in beyond it keeps saying:

FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (location of *.ko file): No such device

when I try to modprobe it. acpi-cpufreq does the same thing.

I'm not sure how to get more verbose output, but the device does exist as scaling works in the non-beyond Arch kernel, in ubuntu, in suse, and in windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2006-06-18 13:11:33

n3olynx

Re: speedstep-centrino in beyond doesn't work

speedstep centrino loads fine for me in beyond. I don't know if it would make a difference if you would modprobe speedstep-centrino instead of speedstep_centrino. Both loaded correctly for me but couldn't hurt to give it a try.

#3 2006-06-19 13:03:08

LB06

FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): Device or resource busy

#4 2006-06-19 13:08:51

n3olynx

I think you get that error b/c another module is taking care of the cpu freq. throttling....probably an acpi module (acpi-cpufreq)....
what happens if you put speedstep-centrino in the modules array in rc.conf?

#5 2006-06-20 16:55:28

rmrfwindows

I've tried acpi-cpufreq and it does the same thing.

Also (it might be related) networkmanager from aur can't find any network devices while in the beyond kernel. This all works in the regular kernel though. Normally, I would be just fine using the regular kernel, but beyond supports the suspend to disk and the suspend to ram where I can't seem to get either working in the regular kernel.

I originally had the speedstep-centrino in the modules array and that's where I discovered the problem. Both speedstep-centrino and speedstep_centrino have the same problem. If there are others that have this working though, maybe I could just try and reinstall arch again and see if I have the problem again.

LB06: your problem is different, I'm getting a No such device error while you are getting a device busy error. n3rlynx might be right about your problem.

Thanks for the replies.

#6 2006-06-20 23:02:48

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

LB06: Make sure that acpi-cpufreq and p4-clockmod are not loaded. They conflict with speedstep-centrino.

Board footer