You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-18 15:24:50

Utini
Website

Wine + Microsoft Office 2010 Installation Problem + General Questions

Hello everyone,

today I decided to install Wine and try installing Microsoft Office 2010. By doing that I encountered a few problems and started wondering about a few things:

a. I wanted to make using Wine a bit more secure so I changed the linking of "Z:" -> "/" to "Z" -> "/home/username/Windows/".
b. I am using firejail with the standard wine.profice policy
c. I changed the linkings from "/home/username/Pictures/" to "/home/username/Windows/Pictures" (same for Documents,Music,Video,Desktop)

1. I think this should make using wine quite secure as any application run with Wine can only access the few specifically-for-wine-created folders and not touch the rest of my Linux system?

I then continued by installing Microsoft Office 2010:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine # Wine prefix to use
wine /path/to/office_cd/setup.exe

But at the end of the installation I got this error which cancelled the installation:

The databases in [/home/username/.local/share/applications] could not be updated.
err:rpc:RpcAssoc_BindConnection rejected bind for reason 0
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-chm.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-hlp.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-htm.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-html.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-ini.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-msp.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-pdf.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-txt.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-url.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-vbs.desktop"
err:menubuilder:write_freedesktop_association_entry error writing association file "/home/username/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-wri.desktop"
fixme:ole:NdrCorrelationInitialize (0x23a060, 0x23a2f0, 2048, 0x0): semi-stub
fixme:rpc:handle_bind_error unexpected status value 1765
err:rpc:RpcAssoc_BindConnection rejected bind for reason 0

2. How to fix this? Is it because of my security "changes" ?

3. I wanted to install Microsoft Office and make it usable for all users on my Linux installation. But right now Wine would install Microsoft Office in my user-specific-folder which means others users can't access it? How to fix this?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Utini (2017-06-18 15:36:05)

Setup 1: Thinkpad T14s G3, 14" FHD - R7 6850U - 32GB RAM - 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVME
Setup 2: Thinkpad X1E G1, 15.6" FHD - i7-8850H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Accessories: Filco Majestouch TKL MX-Brown Mini Otaku, Benq XL2420T (144Hz), Lo(w)gitech G400, Puretrak Talent, Sennheiser HD800S + Meier Daccord FF + Meier Classic FF

#2 2017-06-19 11:52:25

Lone_Wolf

Re: Wine + Microsoft Office 2010 Installation Problem + General Questions

Q3: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Can_I_insta … e_users.3F

Q1 : your a and c should prevent errors, but i doubt they'll protect against malware .

Q2 : try installing without firejail running to troubleshoot .

One of the best features of wine is restart-from-scratch-easy :
if something is not as intended, just remove the wineprefix and try again.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-06-19 17:41:41

Utini
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Q1 : your a and c should prevent errors, but i doubt they'll protect against malware .

Thank you, I managed to get it work !

About malware protection... yes a) and c) might not be the best solution against malware.. but what about b) ?

I tried opening a .docx or .txt or .conf outside the allowed folders and it won't work. I can browser the folder of the whole "/" but I cannot access anything. Should be safe?

Last edited by Utini (2017-06-19 17:42:26)

Setup 1: Thinkpad T14s G3, 14" FHD - R7 6850U - 32GB RAM - 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVME
Setup 2: Thinkpad X1E G1, 15.6" FHD - i7-8850H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Accessories: Filco Majestouch TKL MX-Brown Mini Otaku, Benq XL2420T (144Hz), Lo(w)gitech G400, Puretrak Talent, Sennheiser HD800S + Meier Daccord FF + Meier Classic FF

#4 2017-06-20 15:44:23

Lone_Wolf

While I dislike blacklist approaches for security purposes ( default deny is so much safer) , firejail does make a good impression .

Is MS Outlook part of the MS office install ?
What are you trying to defend from : users , malicious documents, malicious office extensions, general malware, all of the above  ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2017-06-20 15:45:48)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2017-11-04 12:10:16

sitwano

how exactly did you get it to work? did you disable firewall?

Utini wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

Thank you, I managed to get it work !

About malware protection... yes a) and c) might not be the best solution against malware.. but what about b) ?

I tried opening a .docx or .txt or .conf outside the allowed folders and it won't work. I can browser the folder of the whole "/" but I cannot access anything. Should be safe?

#6 2017-11-04 15:49:45

ewaller
Administrator

Q4:  Why did you find it necessary to open a second thread  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231521 ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer