You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-20 12:46:27

Storm
Website

Wine keeps remapping Windows folders to my Linux home (XDG paths)

Greetings!

I have a folder for keeping all of the Windows "My_*" folders for Wine. Every time I make a new prefix I manually set desktop integration paths to these folders.

However, since a few months, Wine keeps repeatedly remapping these paths to the XDG standard paths set for my system, meaning I end up with Windows programs' junk puked all over my data (since they put configs and other junk into "My_Documents") This both litters my data with Windows junk and results in Windows apps not finding their previous files (for example, games not finding their save games).

1; Is there a way to somehow give Wine a damn default to use instead of mapping to my XDG paths all the time? I couldn't find anything.

2; Any idea why Wine keeps resetting these paths and what can I do to stop it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Storm (2017-06-20 12:46:48)

"Sic itur ad astra per aspera."

#2 2017-06-20 17:30:06

HiImTye

Re: Wine keeps remapping Windows folders to my Linux home (XDG paths)

PlayOnLinux automates all of this, and you get the benefit of being able to easily have a clean wine prefix for the apps you want to.

otherwise, you can just manually specify the wine prefix in your launch commands

#3 2017-06-25 18:00:00

Storm
Website

HiImTye wrote:

PlayOnLinux automates all of this, and you get the benefit of being able to easily have a clean wine prefix for the apps you want to.

otherwise, you can just manually specify the wine prefix in your launch commands

Thank you but I think you miss my point. I don't need or want PoL, I can do everything myself, and have done many times before and worked perfectly.

But lately Wine started reverting these paths. It's a new issue I didn't have before.

And for the default it would be convenient if there is a solution - but not going to start using PoL only for that.

#4 2017-06-26 05:56:34

HiImTye

as I said, you can specify manual prefixes. those generate all of your paths in subfolders of your prefix.

note: there are certain programs that recognize the *nix file structure and treat it like a normal *nix app, but those are rare and I can't remember which ones behaved that way when I found them.

#5 2017-06-26 11:11:19

Lone_Wolf

Every time I make a new prefix I manually set desktop integration paths to these folders

Are you using winecfg or regedit to make these changes ?

Are integration paths for default settings and application specific settings both overwritten ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2017-06-26 16:44:19

Storm
Website

HiImTye wrote:

as I said, you can specify manual prefixes. those generate all of your paths in subfolders of your prefix.

I'm already using manual prefixes, as I've said above... and I don't want separate subfolders in each prefix, I have one shared folder for each that I'm using across all my prefixes. I just want to have wine to default to those folders and not the XDG variables.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Are you using winecfg or regedit to make these changes ?

All winecfg does is creating symlinks in the prefix for folders such as "My Documents", "Desktop" etc. Changing it in winecfg simply replaces these symlinks. So I usually just manually copy my predefined symlinks over them which is essentially the same as if I went through winecfg and manually set each.

Then every now and then these symlinks are "reset" by wine overwriting them with symlinks pointing to the XDG paths. I could make them write protected but that is only a workaround and I prefer to solve the problem itself.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Are integration paths for default settings and application specific settings both overwritten ?

The ones listed in winecfg are getting overwritten. That's "Desktop" and the "My *" folders.

I think it's happening when Wine displays the "the configuration of this prefix is being updated" message. And every time my wine version changes (e.g. I update) that is happening.

Last edited by Storm (2017-06-26 16:45:56)

#7 2017-06-26 21:42:21

HiImTye

my bad, I glazed over that one part.
have you set the paths in the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg? I believe whenever wine updates, it does the "configuring wine" thing, and that's when it resets everything according to what's in there.

#8 2017-06-27 10:12:11

Storm
Website

HiImTye wrote:

my bad, I glazed over that one part.
have you set the paths in the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg? I believe whenever wine updates, it does the "configuring wine" thing, and that's when it resets everything according to what's in there.

See my previous post please.

#9 2017-06-27 11:05:53

V1del
Forum Moderator

Storm wrote:

All winecfg does is creating symlinks in the prefix for folders such as "My Documents", "Desktop" etc. Changing it in winecfg simply replaces these symlinks. So I usually just manually copy my predefined symlinks over them which is essentially the same as if I went through winecfg and manually set each.

Then every now and then these symlinks are "reset" by wine overwriting them with symlinks pointing to the XDG paths. I could make them write protected but that is only a workaround and I prefer to solve the problem itself.

And this is the primary point: Are you certain that that's all that happens? These paths usually have some registry keys associated with them and I bet that winecfg changes these as well, you don't and hence when the prefix is updated to the new version, the registry is used as the information point, which still points to the old paths.

#10 2017-06-27 20:39:41

HiImTye

V1del wrote:

And this is the primary point: Are you certain that that's all that happens? These paths usually have some registry keys associated with them and I bet that winecfg changes these as well, you don't and hence when the prefix is updated to the new version, the registry is used as the information point, which still points to the old paths.

that's basically what I said in my last post. winecfg resets the paths according to the registry values set in the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg every time there's an update to wine. the simple solution is to just set them there.

#11 2017-07-02 20:24:24

Storm
Website

V1del wrote:

I bet that winecfg changes these as well, you don't....

Doesn't matter how I set/change it, the practical result is the same: it persists only until Wine is updated.

I did set them via winecfg for years, and when it first started reverting I fixed them via winecfg. Doesn't matter. Deleting and re-creating prefixes from scratch doesn't fix it either.

I only started overwriting the symlinks instead after a while because winecfg is painful even for one, let alone 10+ prefixes.

HiImTye wrote:

winecfg resets the paths according to the registry values set in the Desktop Integration tab of winecfg

No. As I've told several times, I set it there and did not work.

Also, overwriting symlinks manually causes the path to change in winecfg as well. And if I delete one the path will be missing from winecfg. This is why I concluded that it is the same.

Last edited by Storm (2017-07-02 20:27:22)

#12 2017-07-02 20:41:01

Lone_Wolf

I did set them via winecfg for years, and when it first started reverting I fixed them via winecfg.

Did you report this to wine developers ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#13 2017-07-03 06:02:17

HiImTye

Storm wrote:

what you said, actually, was that you copy them manually. you didn't mention until now that it wasn't working that way. we can only help you with the information you provide

there's a workaround on the upstream bug page here that you can try, but it seems like this is an issue since 1.2

#14 2017-07-03 15:43:17

Storm
Website

HiImTye wrote:
Storm wrote:

you didn't mention until now that it wasn't working that way.

I said that changing in winecfg just replaces the symlinks, sorry if that wasn't clear - I meant to imply that I did actually try it. And my apologies for saying I stated it several times, I indeed only stated it that once. I was asking about this in several places and got confused about where did I state what. My bad.

HiImTye wrote:

there's a workaround on the upstream bug page here that you can try, but it seems like this is an issue since 1.2

Hmmm that is weird, I've only noticed this first a few weeks ago. Thank you for the link, I'll try that workaround.

Sorry everyone for getting impatient, but I was a bit frustrated over this.

Board footer