You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-21 14:43:13

militarymaid

Lenovo laptop battery and energy management. [Solved]

Last week I did an installation of Linux in a hard drive for which I took off the hard drive of the laptop and put in the hard drive I was installing the system on (should have waited to get a sata-usb cable).

The system installed perfectly but since then my computer has issues with the battery, it won't charge when plugged in unless it is turned off, and even then I have to reset the computer's charging system (I don't know how it is called but to reset it I took off the battery and pressed the power button for 20 seconds).

At times it manages to charge when I have it turned on but the battery needs to be under 50% of relative charge (checked yesterday it has something to do with Lenovo).

I am tired of having to unplug and replug my PC every time I want it to charge. Yesterday I uninstalled TLP (much to my dislike because it worked wonders) and ran an update in the system, my battery only holds around 50% total charge (blame lenovo's sucky battery for the G50 laptop) but the problem just arose when I ran that Mint installation changing hard drives (it complained about my battery but it lasts for long if I don't play video or audio so I never thought of changing it).

What do you think? This is a software problem I can solve by updating BIOS, downgrading Arch's energy management or a hardware problem and I need a new battery?

Sorry for the convoluted thread.

Last edited by militarymaid (2017-06-21 21:22:30)

#2 2017-06-21 17:18:25

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Lenovo laptop battery and energy management. [Solved]

Check this[1] and see if you can check/change the charge/discharge thresholds.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tp_smapi

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-06-21 21:21:47

militarymaid

Re: Lenovo laptop battery and energy management. [Solved]

Thanks for the utility it actually helped.
My model of laptop does not support the charge maximum threshold (my battery took a long time to stop charging from experience).
The problem is intermittent which means it is the battery the thing that is damaged, and it got damaged because it was overloaded many times over, something that I can prevent on the new battery with the tp_smapi package.

Board footer